• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

This is my glog. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

And so it begins...

24262800865_2b4e3334f7_k_d.jpg

No, I've not grown the Aji Chinchi Amarillo before, I'm looking forward to it too. Looks a lot like the Aji Cito I grew last year, but it's supposed to be quite mild while the Aji Cito packs a punch.

One more variety popped today: green fatalii.

I decided to re-sow all of the varieties from round one that still haven't come up, though I have low expectations of them actually germinating since I've tried germinating many of these seeds twice already.

Day 21 update.

Here are pics of the plants that have sprouted so far.

23956969093_c5948ade75_k_d.jpg

23958153363_d784135ce4_k_d.jpg

Here's a shot showing what's going on below the surface:
24583580435_391995ea4b_k_d.jpg

And the jigsaw crosses:
24501546881_093019b119_k_d.jpg

Three of the jigsaw crosses are showing slight purpling like the F1 plant did, two are much darker (likely taking after grandpa) and I decided to save one of the non-purpling plants too.

One more variety popped today: Aji umba.

Day 28 update.

I potted up the jigsaw crosses. They are really showing a lot of variation in the amount of purpling that they have, it will be really interesting to see what the pods end up looking like on these. The parent plant looked similar to the one in the top left at this stage.

24597605352_5c90f9ed92_k_d.jpg

I had three more varieties come up this week:
Pink Tiger (Penny)
CGN 21566
Sepia Serpent

Here are the rest of my plants:
24087234194_b1db2f69a6_k_d.jpg

24087225104_0c63f36df6_k_d.jpg

In the top row in the last picture are some of my culls. In the pot on there left there are six different varieties all crammed in together, I'm thinking of trying to bonsai it. Next to that is an experimental self watering container into which I put another couple of culls, I have this filled with maxigro diluted to 1tsp per gallon. I haven't fed any of the other plants yet.

Thanks NW.

I had them under a T5 fixture until about 5 days ago when I switched to a Mars Hydro 300w LED. I had them about 4" from the T5 fixture which was probably a little too close as a few of the plants started getting a suntan. I now have them about 9" away from the LED fixture.

I'm running the lights on a 12 on, 4 off, 4 on, 4 off schedule (I have them off when electricity prices are at their highest).

It's my second year with the Mars Hydro too. I liked it a lot last year, so much so that I bought a second one. I got both of mine really cheap off eBay. FWIW, mine are older models that use 3w LEDs, the newer ones use 5w. Hydro One sucks, don't get me started! lol.

Day 36 update.

Growth slowed down on many of my plants this week. I attribute this to one or more of the following things:
1. Under-watering (I have now given them a good soak)
2. Under-feeding (I hadn't fed any of my plants until yesterday)
3. Too close to the LED fixture (I have now increased the distance from 9" to to 13")
4. Temperatures too cool (I had turned the hat mat down to 70f, it's now back up to 80f).

The only plants which have grown well are the two in the self watering container:
24251729934_a5a29b77c9_k_d.jpg

Compare to the previous picture from eight days ago (note that the pots are reversed in this pic):
24087225104_0c63f36df6_k_d.jpg

The lower pair of leaves on one of them started showing slight signs of oedema after about 4 days. Since then I have been putting a fan on them for a couple of hours each day and the new growth is not showing any further signs of oedema. I really thought these would be suffering by now, but they seem to be thriving. I should also mention that there are 2" long roots poking out of the holes in the bottom of the cups already!

Inspired by this, I have started what I call the "popcorn" experiment.
24512282889_4007bc5242_k_d.jpg

These are some more self watering containers made from plastic popcorn cups with 4" pots inside. This time, the pots are filled with 1:1 coco:perlite (I like to experiment). I will let the medium dry out a little over the next couple of days and then I will fill the reservoirs with the same mix I used for the original self-watering container.

You may notice that one of the plants above is yellowing quite a bit (white bhut). This plant was the first to pop, so I suspect it's just hungry. It was watered with a weak nute solution yesterday and repotted today, hopefully it will like the fresh soil.

I potted up some more of the cups today too (from 10oz cups to 4.5" pots). I probably should have done a few more but I was pressed for time:
24853647236_9933b51f58_k_d.jpg

Here is an updated pic. of the jigsaw crosses, no problems to report with these:
24786502121_21f00805b8_k_d.jpg

This weekend I also wrapped my grow shelves in black&white poly, which you can see in the background of my pics. Since doing this, I noticed that air temperature has risen considerably; conversely the humidity has dropped considerably. I'll need to keep a close eye on both of these over the next few days.

Day 42 update.

A few hours after I posted my day 36 update I had a white 7-pot white finally germinate; I had just about given up on these. My quickest germ time was a white bhut at 6 days and my slowest is the white 7-pot after 36, go figure!

I have resown seeds for the yellow Marconi again, I've tried twice already and had one out of three germinate both times. Both of them had a stuck helmet and neither survived. Hopefully third time is a charm. I've also sown some Big Jim world record seed (thanks denish!), I'm still waiting for these to hook. I will be sowing seed for the growdown tomorrow, that will be the last of the pepper seeds I sow this year.

The yellowing issues I started having last week have cleared up, I guess my plants just needed a light feeding.

The Jigsaw crosses continue to grow without any problems:
24984917616_9aad580227_k_d.jpg

I've potted up the majority of my seedlings now:
24715717570_4624ac77ab_k_d.jpg

25011218535_58aed5bdef_k_d.jpg

My self-watering cups experiment seems to be a success, the picture immediately below is from 6 days ago and the one beneath that was taken just a moment ago:
24251729934_a5a29b77c9_k_d.jpg

25011220225_f5821c3420_k_d.jpg

You may recal that these were seedlings that I was going to cull, the plant on the right now has leaves bigger than any of my other plants. It also has roots poking out of the bottom of the cup that are up to four inches long.

The plants in the popcorn cups are not growing so quickly, but they are growing and look healthy. I think the 50-50 mix of coco and perlite is a little too airy, the wicks are barely keeping the medium moist. In hindsight, I should have brought the wicks all the way to the top of the pots instead of having them come to the bottom only. The roots are starting to poke through the holes in the bottom of the pots now, so I expect they will start to grow quicker once the roots hit the nutrient solution.

I turned the majority of my pots into self-watering containers (talk about putting all of my eggs in one basket!). All of the pots that are sitting in the yoghurt containers have a wick inserted into the bottom. Each of the yoghurt containers has a little water in the bottom with 1/4 strength hydro nutes. I plan to up this to half strength a week from now.

Day 49 update.

My plants seem to be growing well, for the most part. A couple of my annuums have a bit of edema (I guess they didn't like the self watering method) but the rest are doing ok.

The jigsaw crosses:
24793175319_3c16102357_k_d.jpg

I finally got a golden Marconi to sprout without a stuck helmet, woo hoo! Only one out of three though, the other two have stuck helmets like my previous attempts, but I only wanted to keep one anyhow.
25042655752_943953398c_k_d.jpg

This is one of the plants from the the original self watering container, it continues to grow like crazy.
24530169114_2a29102da9_k_d.jpg

24530147744_6136b5d3ae_k_d.jpg

The other plant from the original self watering container has not grown much this week and has curled leaves. I changed out the nutes and flushed the soil, hopefully it will perk up again.

Group shots of the other plants:
24865260140_bf44000524_k_d.jpg

24534007083_17c93bac4e_k_d.jpg

I'm still waiting for my world record big Jim and my growdown throwdown seeds to hook.

Day 57 update.

It's been one of those weeks this week, so the plants have been neglected a little. A few of the plants didn't get enough water and wilted really badly, luckily I got to them before it was too late. A couple more of the plants are showing signs of edema - I need to improve airflow...

The jigsaw crosses:
25362476675_49895d6deb_k_d.jpg

A bunch of the others:
24994932869_09b69b6533_k_d.jpg

25336554796_8d58a7c845_k_d.jpg

I had an unexpected seedling come up 45 days after sowing, almost matching my previous record of 46 days:
24995157289_f179c62e13_k_d.jpg

I just realized I haven't posted pictures of my bonchi project. It's 6 different plants all twisted up together, a mix of annuums and baccatums. It looks kind of sloppy right now, but I'm hoping after I prune off the lower leaves when it gets a little bigger it will start to look a little better:
25362455275_f31cb569c8_k_d.jpg

Purple serrano branching, forking and budding like crazy, I'm really liking this plant:
24735832773_a7434abbea_k_d.jpg

I showed my tomatoes and ground cherries yesterday - a big thanks goes out to Penny for the great selection of tomato seeds!

Day 64 update.

Not much to report. My grow shelf is becoming pretty overcrowded, I'll probably have to start topping and/or stripping the plants soon as I'm running out of space...

24949072893_1a41e8eb20_b_d.jpg

I apologize for the crappy picture, they are becoming increasingly difficult to photograph.

Four of the six the tomatoes I sowed a week ago have germinated, and one of the two ground cherries just hooked.

The Gold Marconi that I had a hell of a time germinating accidentally got decapitated below the cotyledons; I just can't seem to catch a break with these. I haven't given up on it yet, I dipped the part that got chopped off in clonex and put it in a shot glass of water, hopefully I can get it to root. Wish me luck.

Great looking grow.  I fell ill last year around the time I would have had to start, and then I got scheduled to go out of town for a month.  Needless to say I am about 40 days behind you!  

Can't wait until my shelf looks like yours. 

Day 73 update.

So the oldest plants are close to 10 weeks old now. Most of them are growing really quickly, I'm seriously worried that I'm going to run out of room since plant out is still another 10 weeks away!

25848090125_c127edfc14_k_d.jpg

My big fan died a few days ago, so the plants are getting edema again. I just got another fan so hopefully it won't get any worse. A few of the plants started showing signs of some kind of deficiency (splotches on the leaves) so I upped the nutrient strength from 1 tsp per gallon to 1.5 tsp per gallon and I'll monitor them to see how they do. The biggest plants need to be watered thoroughly every two days now.

I'm still loving this purple Serrano, it has 5 pods on it already, about 10 flowers that are fully open and a few dozen more buds.

25848084655_3f36cb2b19_k_d.jpg

25221513913_fd02155423_k_d.jpg

In other news, I have 5 out of 6 tomatoes growing now and two out of two ground cherries.

Back