• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests this little %&%#*$&(!!! (STINK BUG!!!!!)

i have noticed a few of these little bastards crawling around my plants lately. information out there on the interwebs is inconsistent. how dangerous? address IMMEDIATELY? worrying here!

U09v6ek.jpg

also- yes, i see the pest sticky. threat level 4!!! looking for some personal experience/advice here.

i am all up in my plants' faces every single day, usually two or three times, poking around watching for bugs, cleaning out dead growth, generally doting, etc. i know that there aren't a billion of these things around - i just started to notice them yesterday (1) and today (2). so maybe not even three total. :confused:  

edit: titled for relevance

I've been told they are Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs. I've seen little black ones crawling around my plants lately. I kill them right away. I've read they are voracious eaters of fruit. I find them on my pods, not leaves. But yours could be a different stink bug.

-Adam

Do you have pumpkins or other squash growing nearby ?? -- Looks like a squash bug so be on the lookout for the eggs as the hatchlings will eat a lot !

squash-bug-0486.jpg

Bhuter and floricole are correct. They are most definitely brown marmorated stink bugs. You can tell because of the white band around their antennae. Kill them immediately. They will eat your fruit. You will also see them hiding under leaves. That's where they lay their eggs. The young resemble lady bugs.

Tim

cubbieblue82 said:
nope. literally nothing but peppers and tomatos in containers on the porch. :X

I have seen them down at our Pecan orchard where my brother has his half acre garden. The stink bugs wrought havoc on his tomatoes just as they have done in the past with our Pecans. They will inject something into the fruit that in the case of the tomatoes causes them to have light green splotching on them that shows up when the fruit start to ripen, and on the Pecans they inject the nuts when they are in the green shuck stage. Once the outer covering of the Pecan falls off as the nuts get near to ripening you can't tell if they have been affected. But when we harvest them the nuts will have a malformed meaty inside that has a very bitter taste and are thus ruined.

I have tried this recipe for other insects with luck, but never with stink bugs.  Might be worth a shot. 
Not my recipe but one I found online.
[SIZE=16pt]Garden Insect Repellent[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 Quart Water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]½ Cup Brewed Coffee[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 Tbs Dish Soap (Dawn, Palmolive, Cheap Store Brand, etc.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 Tbs Oil (Canola, Vegetable, etc.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 tsp Cayenne Powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 tsp Garlic Powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 tsp Peppermint Extract or Oil (can be found in the spice isles of most grocery stores next to vanilla extract.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Mix all the ingredients together and allow to steep for 24 hours. Strain through a very fine sieve (or regular sieve with a coffee filter) add to a spray bottle and  mist your plants when  needed.  Make sure to spray the underside of leaves (especially for aphids).

The combination of ingredients will get rid of everything from aphids, whiteflies, caterpillars and squash bugs to ants, and other garden pests.
[/SIZE]

By the way, GO CARDS!

Back