• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

This probably sounds EXTRMELY noob.....

Oops, meant *extremely :P, But can eating alot of really really hot sauces OFTEN such as 357 affect your health adversely in any way (cause heart problems, raise blood pressure, cause other health issues)? I'm not used to eating extremely hot stuff but I'm interested in really stepping it up and building a tolerance for 357 and some of the higher tier Blair's sauces. I just wanna make sure it's safe before I start exploring my limits. Thanks :(

If anything, it's good for you.

Most quality gourmet sauces use all natural ingredients, so unless you're allergic to something, you should be ok.

Potawie's link has alot of info on your question.
What I find is that some sauces use alot of salt and that may hurt you a bit .
You will find that extracts and good quality sauces that are talked about here are easy on you as they are not loaded with salt and vinagar like dollar store sauces .
last xmas i was given a gallon of louisanna sauce from a local dollar store and i think they used 1 cayenne pepper to make every bottle they sold.
also goes for cheap wing sauces .
with any extract or high heat sauce just take it easy and a little at a time and you will be fine.

Too much of anything isn't good.

I'm pretty sure those extract sauces will f*** up your stomach if you do too much of them. Personally I can't touch them anymore.

chuk hell said:

I'm pretty sure those extract sauces will f*** up your stomach if you do too much of them. Personally I can't touch them anymore.
Define "too much". :P
There's a Yemenite hot sauce called "Skhug", it's very popular in Israel.
Everything that comes in my mouth must have Skhug on it, I eat it everyday, all day.
It's not nuclear hot, but the hottest are quite hot.

I haven't felt heartburn in years. :lol:

* Just so you know how popular it is, it's actually reffered to as "kharif", which literally translate to "hot".
So people are like "put some 'hot' in my food...". :lol:

Well the industrial version uses some really poor peppers (not sure what kind), more "spicy" than "hot".
But our version can be made with any pepper, so the level of hotness is up to you.
I'll write down a recipe for you perhaps later today.

Omri said:
Define "too much". :lol:

Well as long as you stick with "natural" hot sauce I think you'll be fine. Too much is different for everyone. Too much vodka will...kill you. Trying to down a whole bottle an extract sauce like...oh say... "Mega Death" might be "too much" for most people. :P

Omri said:
There's a Yemenite hot sauce called "Skhug", it's very popular in Israel.

Hmm...I'd like to try it.

Extract sauces generally are done through the use of chemicals (ie: keytones) and certain people have a slight to extreme toxic reaction to them (Chuk Hell being one of those people. I remember the days of him complaining of doubling over in pain from cramps when he had a little bit of extract based sauces).

Peppers alone are extremely benifitial to the human body. Hot sauce, however, contains vinegar which tends to not be so nice on the stomich over time.

The base of Skhug consists of peppers, coriander, garlic and olive oil... no vinegar.
Of course it's just the base, some people add vinegar.

chuk hell said:

well... except beer. :lol:

i had some hearburn just yesterday after i mixed some megadeath into some soup i was having. was great and hot, but afterwards i was eating antacid tablets.

xgrafcorex said:
well... except beer. :(

i had some hearburn just yesterday after i mixed some megadeath into some soup i was having. was great and hot, but afterwards i was eating antacid tablets.
Of course too much beer is not good for you, it will make you fat! :lol:

bentalphanerd said:
Must have lost something in the translation there...to have too much means that you have more than enough? How does that relate to beer :(
It's a Florida slang thingy.
Like "Bad" is good, and "Good" is bad... to "Too much" is not enough.

HotTomale said:
Oops, meant *extremely :(, But can eating alot of really really hot sauces OFTEN such as 357 affect your health adversely in any way (cause heart problems, raise blood pressure, cause other health issues)? I'm not used to eating extremely hot stuff but I'm interested in really stepping it up and building a tolerance for 357 and some of the higher tier Blair's sauces. I just wanna make sure it's safe before I start exploring my limits. Thanks :lol:
====================================
Once you get into the realm of extract sauces, individual taste is gone. Most of them have a very strong extract taste. It pretty much overrides all other flavors in the sauce. There are plenty of very tasty (and very hot, depending on how much sauce you use) sauces out there that don't rely on extract for heat. Matouk's makes a fine product, if you like the large batch type sauces. Many of the vendors on this site have sauces with kick.

Back