• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Thoughts on Aerogardens

Hey guys, I just got an Aerogarden (with herb packets) that I found at a rummage sale for $25. I believe it's from 2007and looks like it's never been used. I thought I've seen people using them for their growing but when I use the search engine nothing comes up.

Back in October, I sowed 5X7 diff varieties = 35 seeds in rockwool with a heat mat in a domed germination unit. Had about 7 sprout and only 3 survived, one stunted.

I got some nice seeds from Jason and Don Lava that I want to start but afraid to go back to rockwool. Wondering about using MG starter mix, peat pellets, or now the aerogarden. What do you guys suggest?

BTW I live in S FL and so far it hasn't gotten below 45-50 degrees here and getting into drought issues now.

Thanks
Angie

Lol. There are several members that frequently post regarding their Aerogardens. $25 is a great deal, you really scored on that one. I was looking for a deal on one, but fortunately my wife stopped me...I don't need another excuse to grow more peppers. I am sure you will get plenty of responses from the Aerogarden crowd. Happy growing!

-Mark

Denniz has two and talks about them a lot in his grow log: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35774-kingdennizs-addicted-to-cloning-2013/

two... two... how dare you.. i have 3!!!>. and one ghetto aero..
its a great thing to use.. its literally plug and play... put water in....add nutes... put aero plugs with seeds.. and put dome to retain moisture.. feel free to PM me
frankly i utilize it as a starter... get them big then move to soil....just be mindful when you harden... harden from aero to soil first... then harden to outside...

you can make your own ghetto styroaero ..and also for multiple seed starter tray.....

thanks for the heads up carson

Love mine. Only good for about 3 months on peppers though.
They get too big.
Just trying the styrofoam starter for the first time.
66 at once, and hope to get 2 months before having to dirt them.

yes thats a great deal. I love mine. as far as starter.. i have had success using the mircle grow starter mix .. once they pop pu and are decent size i transferr them into the aerogarden

What's up angie! Good to see you around! I would start all three ways and see which way works the best for you. I would think straight in the plugs would be the easist, but its good to experiment. Good score @ $25!
Denniz definitely knows what's up, have seen great success from his post. If you burn thru the seeds w/out success, i will send you some more.

Thanks guys. Makes me feel alot better. Hoping it wasn't a bad impulse buy. Will look at the glog before posting any more questions. Yes Mil I put aerogarden into the search and it came up with nothing. I sneak read this forum at work cause I don't have enough time in a day when I get home from work to read it all :) (that's a good thing, means lots of good info). Thanks Jason, will be hitting up you and Don Lavas seeds. Will keep you posted.

Thanks guys. Makes me feel alot better. Hoping it wasn't a bad impulse buy. Will look at the glog before posting any more questions. Yes Mil I put aerogarden into the search and it came up with nothing. I sneak read this forum at work cause I don't have enough time in a day when I get home from work to read it all :) (that's a good thing, means lots of good info). Thanks Jason, will be hitting up you and Don Lavas seeds. Will keep you posted.

I know what you did Spicytrigger. When you type in the search box there is a greyed out section that says "This Topic" or depending where you are on the site it will say different things. Click on that box and click on "Forums".

I say that because I myself have done it many of times scratching my heads thinking "there are no topics about peppers?!" GL ST

btw I bought a "Grow anything Kit" on amazon this year that is made for Aerogarden that I'm trying this year. I'm not going to recommend it just because I have no experience other than I planted the seeds last night and turned it on... hehe my wife has done herbs in the Aerogarden though a few years back and I gotta say it really is just plug and play.... Tells you when to add water and when to add nutes. Lights come on and off whenever they need to as well.

Back