Thoughts on Companion Planting?

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on companion planting for peppers. Do you find that it really makes a difference or is the actual advantage negligible?  Personally, I've always planted marigolds, dill, and chives with my veggies but that's just an old tradition handed down to me by my granddad.

sicman said:
okra around any crops for wind protection.

I once met a guy who used okra as a "trap crop" for aphids (which is the only good use for okra, in my opinion  :)). He would grow them in the far corners of his tomato garden. Have you noticed if they have the same effect for your peppers?

I just started this with basil around my peppers. I'd like to know if anyone has noticed any results. Farmer's Almanac has some info in this year's garden addition (shows a chart for various plants.) 

Certain plants attract pests that kill harmful pests and vice versa. Companion plants don't suck from the soil or compete as much for nutrients/water.

I'd like to know if anyone has NOTICEABLE differences in yield and flavor. 

Heh - - - I use hot peppers around my non-hot veggies. The critters around here go for the peppers because they're easiest to reach, then figure out the hard way they shouldn't bother coming back. Only then they keep going after my neighbor's garden. I tell him to grow hot peppers and he won't have a problem.

Years ago I heard that marigolds would help ward off certain pests and gave them a try. Once. Decided it wasn't worth the bother after that, not to mention they're not flowers I particularly care for.

I have been wondering how Comfrey would be as it mines nitrogen better than just about any other plant known.
I grow in containers so I don't know. I do have two tomato plants that came up next to Comfrey so that should prove an interesting observation.

I'm doing quite a bit of companion planting this year, and not just with my peppers. Anxious to see how it turns out.

Check this out.  Old thread but some cool info there.  Companion planting clover worked well for me indoor and out - legumes bind nitrogen to the soil!

Anyone know where MadLibs posting these days?

unk3390 said:
Check this out.  Old thread but some cool info there.  Companion planting clover worked well for me indoor and out - legumes bind nitrogen to the soil!

Anyone know where MadLibs posting these days?

Nope, neither do I know why he was banned. A lot of good guys have been kicked off the mag.

But if you find out let me know :D

logicalgardner.org just opened shop and has a few organic refugees.

Back