• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Thoughts on plant issues

Hey Guys,

I put some new seedlings outside, hardened them off and planted.  However they still do not look good.  This is Organic premium potting mix in pots and smartpots and/or seedling cups.  Most of the seedlings have never been fed nuts other then what is in the potting mix.  I have been watering about ever 5-8 days for the last 3 weeks since i planted them and the ones that are in small cups get water ever 3-5 days as they dry out fast

I did hit them with some Calcium foliar spray last night as it seems like a calcium deficiency.  However what do you think?  All the leaves are a bit more yellow in person:

IMG_3183_zpsa2783920.jpg

IMG_3178_zps5ded05f7.jpg

IMG_3176_zpsf09136d9.jpg

IMG_3173_zps23f24663.jpg

IMG_3171_zps654ed35c.jpg

They are still adjusting to the sun, they look pretty good to me. Give them some time to adjust, they should perk up after a while. FYI , IMO some of them are a little to small to be out in full sun and hardened off already

^^ Agreed. They don't look bad at all. I do notice some leaf crinkling on pictures 3&4 which could be due to calcium deficiency as you suspected. If those plants don't show recovery from crinkled new growth, try feeding the soil with calcium rather than a foliar spray

I did do a soil test and it appears I might be low on Phosphorous...so if I dont see anything from the foliar spray, I may end up putting down bonemeal into the soil.

The way I understand it, bonemeal isn't immediately taken up by the soil. It takes a long time for it to breakdown. Maybe someone else could chime in on this for me but it seems like this has been covered on THP.

Try to find a form of phosphorus that is broken down and more readily available to the plant. Some liquid nute product may have it, including the one you applied.

Just don't over do it, because it'll throw your soil out of whack again, and potentially cause another nutrient lock-out. Less is often more with chilli's.

I would test the soil again before applying another fix,  just to be sure.

Back