• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

THROW DOWN SOME CHILI!!!

last night on food network was a show called throw down with bobby flay

last night cindy reed wilkins 2 time terlinqua champion back to back was on to cook chili against bobby. as a chili freak i loved watching it and if yall want to catch it it comes on again food network july 30th at 4pm and 11pm(im guessing eastern time) and again july 31st at 2 am.

I'm not saying I want to listen to them, I'm saying they are too busy for TV, but they would probably be boring as hell with no TV experience. Most of the chefs on TV have a background in TV. It's entertainment. That's why Emeril has a live audience and a band, and why people cheer for garlic and bam. They are more interested in cooking shows and paychecks than being restauranteurs.

Pepper_Slayer said:
I personally like Alton Brown myself.
I'm actually digging his show Feasting on Asphalt. He's less of a scripted character, and more himself. And I love road food shows. There's some real shitholes in the middle of nowhere that have great food.

Reall enjoying the Feasting show myself. Was a bit disappointed that he only made one stop in Charlotte NC. Heard there is also a great hot dog guy here by the name of Chili Man. He would have done well to stop by.

Two fat ladies had an awesome recipe once that I keep meaning to try:

Buy a big, unsliced loaf of bread
Cut one end off, near the end
Hollow the loaf out
Stuff with steak, onions, gravy, etc
replace cut off end
Put in oven to cook.

Bit simplified, but something like that. Almost as good as Jamie Oliver's bacon sandwich: Slice an unsliced loaf horizontally to get really long bread. And then use gammon. :clap:

Not chili related, I know, but you can always add some peppers to that if you want...

What bothers me about Alton is how many times he says "uh". Next time, take a listen. "I'd like to, uh, put this, uh, in the pot with some, uh..." I can't listen anymore.

I'm sorry, but I can't stand BF. He always strikes me as being an arrogant snob.

Alton Brown, now. Love it. He did a show on peppers I really loved. I still dig minced habanero and pineapple on vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Edit: My favorite cook is still Jeff Smith. Yeah, that guy. I don't know if anything was ever proved, I don't want to believe it could be true. Frugal Gourmet started my love of cooking.

[quote name='Cap'n Bones']Flay = Loves himself Oh yeah, Thats a no...doubt

Alton Brown = Definitely script, but entertaining and the kids love it. Love the food geek

My favorite is Rick Bayless[/QUOTE] I'm down with that! Now that's a man who knows chiles. The Iron Chef episode when he went up against Flay was rigged, I tells ya!

The Frug got me into cooking, too!

Back