• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds THSC Trinidad Scorpion germination times...

Anyone trying to grow Scorpions from THSC? I had three in my Park Seed Biodome which promptly started growing a fuzzy film on top after about a week even with hydrogen peroxide in the water. I removed them to avoid contaminating the remaining seedlings and started 6 more in another Biodome. It's been two weeks and still no seedlings! Everything else I have including my Bhuts have started and are doing fine.

Is anyone else having trouble with this variety?

Also, this is my first year growing chiles from seed and I was wondering if anyone has an idea about how fast these guys should grow. My annums started fast and furious while the chinense varieties started slow, but have now caught up to the annums. Everything has been going for about 5 and a half weeks. Most seedlings have 2 sets of true leaves with a few showing 3. The leaf color is good and they look healthy and I am giving them 1/4 strength fertilizer once weekly. However, I have seen others on the forum with seedlings at about 6 weeks with 4-5 sets of true leaves. Just wondering if mine are going too slow or if I'm within the realm of normal for new seedling growth.

Thanks for any input you guys have and good luck with the rest of your season.

My Bhut's sprouted quickly in my BioDome, havent tried doing T. Scorps in it though cause my sponges got an infection and I chucked them. Chinese species peppers are odd, some sprout quickly, some seem like they will never come, but just be patient, some can take 4-6 weeks (or so I have heard). I started 9 T Scorp Yellow CARDI seeds on 2-25 and as of today 4 have come up.

from my experience the THSC Trinidad Scorpion seeds I had about 7 out of the 10 germinated using a heat mat, peat pellets and humidity cover. I can't remember exactly how long they took, but I think it was around 4 weeks before they sprouted.
They seem to grow fairly slowly for about a 2-3 months and then they just start to go mental. I found putting them into large (30-40 cm) pots seemed to be what set them off.
If you were getting a fuzzy coating they may have been too humid, but there are a lot of people on here with a lot more experience than me who can give better advice, it's my first season growing as well ;)

Matt, nice to see some others out there using the BioDome. I thought long and hard about buying them, but they have worked great so far. Have not had much trouble at all except for those darn Scorpions.

I love the simplicity of the Biodome. No potting material mixing, etc. A little more costly, but clean and fast. So...do these chiles just start to take off at some point. Mine look fine, but they just haven't started to really grow very large yet. Only about 6 weeks in so far. Am I just being too impatient?

None of the TScorpion seeds that I purchased from THSC germinated and I know how to germinate pepper seeds. That is zero for 8. On the other hand, I got a good germination rate from the 7 pot seeds I bought from Hippy. Go figure.

I think that the Scorps may have been crushed or semi-crushed on the way over to the States. Maybe even irradiated?

I got nearly all my Scorpions and 7 Pods to germinate from Neil late last year. Still managed to kill them all over the summer :(

i had 0/5 germinate... but i didnt know what i was doing

4 weeks later i planted 2 more and got 2/2 up after 2 1/2 weeks

I also use the Bio-Dome and have sucess with all seeds.the T-Scorps. only germ. 2 out of 5,but I'll take it because lack of room to grow.
101_0546-1.jpg

101_0547.jpg

after pot up.aprox. 4 weeks
101_0556.jpg

Strange this thread lol. Look at a few posts down, I started a thread last friday regarding THSC chocolate Bhut germination times.

Chris

I have had a terrible time with THSC Scorpions, which I believe are the ButchT variety. Few of them germinate. These are supposedly the very hottest of the peppers, so that _may_ be the difficulty; who knows. Out of over 100 seeds I only have 20 or so seedlings at this time.

On the other hand, THSC Yellow 7 Pot germination rates are outstanding, and are pretty robust plants.

WGB, nice plants....I'm jealous! I guess I'll just give my Scorpions more time then. I hope that I can just get one going. I wish that I could plant many more seeds for each of my 30+ varieties, but space constraints restrict me to about 6 seedlings per variety. Oh well!

I did get some 7-POT seeds from THSC going. They look great. However,the 7-POD seeds from Neil have not come up at all either. Very strange indeed. All my other seeds from Neil look pretty good though. I'll never completely understand these little peppers! Fun trying to though.

I also recently planted some cilantro in my BioDome to have something to join all my peppers when they finally show up.....lots of salsa.

Thanks for all of the replies and pics you guys.

I'm having similar experiences to everyone else here. THSC Scorpions would not sprout at all in an organic soil mix or the wet paper towel in a baggie method. I tried for 6 weeks. Finally I got a couple to sprout in some jiffy pellets. Took about 10 days. The 7 Pot Jonah had no problem at all. 100% sprouted in about 8 days.

In my observation the super-hots seem to like the jiffy pellets. It might have something to do with optimal temperature or moisture.

that is a huge scorpion for 5 weeks...

Sorry to take over your thread, aringdd...

The seed source for this was THSC. I didn't get the greatest germination rate on them, but the ones that did come up are growing really nice. I may be off by up to a week, this plant could be up to 6 weeks old, but it isn't more than that. I've been using nutes, but not aggressively. However, I am using foliar sprayed supplements aggressively, especially Canna Rhizotonic, and have added Botanicare's Liquid Karma and Seaplex to the mix.

I'm using Rhizotonic after seeing Stillmanz' results, and can't say enough about it. That stuff is flat out making my plants rock and roll. I'm adding the other supplements in part because the plants are growing so quickly that I want to make sure they're getting everything they need to stay healthy. I've been using Canna Terra Vega with bottom watering at 50% recommended strength once a week, and am considering increasing the dosage as well.

Can't wait to see the pods! :)

Back