• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

'Tickle' my pepper plant flowers with a Q-Tip (pollination aid) ?

Question for you pepper plant experts ... Below are 2 photos of my Thai 'Dragon' pepper plant that is growing in a pot.

In the 2nd photo you can see this young plant is getting little white flowers on it. I had read somewhere that it might help the plant produce more peppers if I take a Q-Tip and rub it on each of the flowers on this plant. I guess the idea is to help self-pollinate the plant.  

Since this plant is growing in an enclosed area (screened-in pool area here in Florida) ... there really are not many flying bugs around to help pollinate this young plant. 

Good idea, or just silly thinking on my part?

Thanks,

Peppers1.jpg

Peppers2.jpg

Nightshade said:
You could just shake the plant

Never thought of that! :halo:

You know ... I might be just getting too anal about all this. When I lived in the Philippines, we had a couple of Thai 'Birds Eye' pepper plants we grew from seeds. I never did anything to these plants except water them, and they made lots of peppers.

I also shake my plants everyday :)
Even though i see a lot of bee's and bumblebee's on them.

Btw: You live in paradise by the looks of it :D amazing !

I used a q-tip on my plants when they only had a few flowers on each and it seemed to do the trick, although shaking the plant would be easier if you have a lot of flowers.

ive heard of holding the handle of an electric toothbrush on the main stem to vibrate the heck out of it. carefull not to break it if you hand shake.

good luck!!!

Turbota said:
Laphroaig .... Golf course in the back

Golf3.jpg

Want to go swimming?
Gator1.jpg

Wow ... what a stunning vieuw ! That is paradise !! I need to visit Florida  :D
And then u see a crocodile lol ...
It is so crazy to think u need to watch out for animals that kill u outside  :eek:
In Belgium we don't have anything that could even hurt us a little :P no snakes, no spiders, nothing ... 

I am a long time diddler especially with Rocotto's - I've gone in with my fingers as well as Im tip toeing thru the garden for shiggles

Laphroaig said:
It is so crazy to think u need to watch out for animals that kill u outside  :eek:
In Belgium we don't have anything that could even hurt us a little :P no snakes, no spiders, nothing ... 
Don't come to Australia then  :stop: 

Hard to tell if the pool is fully enclosed but if you have a breeze near the plants that could pollinate them too.

i was just out there today doing what u are talking about but i took an old string i found on the ground with nice frayed edges wet it just a bit and rubbed all the flowers with it  neighbors and stuff might think we are weird but its a normal process here in the pepper world

Back