• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tightly curled leaves issue

habsfan67 said:
Makes sense. I'm in the Burbs & everyone around me has Tru Green Etc pumping god knows what everywhere!  My Jalapenos seem not to be affected though...

Only the one plant was affected? Seems unlikely for a chemical wafting through the air to hit one and miss the rest (if they're in the vicinity, that is).

I'd be getting out a magnifying glass and having a real close look at the underside of those leaves just to be sure. Broad mite damage looks similar. @ 0.2mm you can see them scurry across leaves with a glass.. better safe than sorry I say.

One other thing occurred to me. Is there any other way, aside from removing the leaves until they begin to grow properly again, to take the herbicide out of the plant/soil? Is it water soluble by chance?

Update: I just Googled the herbicides, and both seem to be highly water soluble, but the only thing I saw as far as removing/sequestering the chemicals was some sort of carbon nanotube, or iron/calcium alloyed tube, and I doubt many of us have the money for either right now... Oh yeah, and it was one of the ingredients in Agent Orange...

AaronRiot said:

Only the one plant was affected? Seems unlikely for a chemical wafting through the air to hit one and miss the rest (if they're in the vicinity, that is).

I'd be getting out a magnifying glass and having a real close look at the underside of those leaves just to be sure. Broad mite damage looks similar. @ 0.2mm you can see them scurry across leaves with a glass.. better safe than sorry I say.
I will definitely check but I would say 30 out of of 36 plants were affected.

habsfan67 said:
I will definitely check but I would say 30 out of of 36 plants were affected.

It definitely sounds like the herbicide did it's voodoo on it, since all but 2-3 of my plants were affected as well.

I have the exact same issue on about 5 plants now, previously 15 that I topped. I live a stones throw from major farm land and they do aerial spraying at times. I have NEVER had an issue previously but my leaves and top of the plant look similar. I previously blamed red spider mites which were infesting the plants in the millions. Now I am torn :) On the plus side, all the plants are doing amazing and I'd be shocked in my case if it was some sort of over spray. 

I'm glad to report that there's already fresh leaves growing on my plants, and I'm seeing new buds growing in the areas where there used to be affected leaves. I still haven't gotten all the affected leaves yet, but this weekend, I'll definitely spend time out there and rid the plants of the remaining gnarled leaves

I topped & pruned most of the mutant plant growth.  I left a couple plants just to see if they would pull through.  ( Always a pessimist ) 

HigherThisHeat said:
 What I find weird is that some plants get it hard while others, not at all.

Did there seem to be a certain variety that wasn't hit as bad? Or was it all random? My chinenses always seem to take the most damage. Annuums (especially jalapeños), tomatillos and cherry tomatoes don't seem to be affected as much.

dash 2 said:
Did there seem to be a certain variety that wasn't hit as bad? Or was it all random? My chinenses always seem to take the most damage. Annuums (especially jalapeños), tomatillos and cherry tomatoes don't seem to be affected as much.
Same with me all the chinense were affected the jalapeños hardly at all.

Boy... I sure do recognize THAT pepper's look. :)

Keep trimming off abnormal growth. Might also try some root stimulant to help balance out the auxin demand on the plant.

Mine all pulled through, with varying degrees of success. I think it actually *helped* some of the plants that got a very faint dose of it, since it spurred them on to become gigantic monster-producers... 

habsfan67 said:
The leaves look a very dark shade of green, perhaps to much nitrogen?

Also the curling under of the leafs could be a sign of over fertilising

Some of those leafs look a lot like how some of mine got, yes thrips could be responsible, I've got the buggers on a few of plants. However I've also had a potassium/ magnesium issue going on. The early signs of potassium deficiency I've read can easily be mistaken for other things... Your plant looks young though, what kind of soil is it in, and what is it's ph?

Back