• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Time for seedlings to show sign of life?

Hello everyone!

Been reading a ton of information on this site in the past few weeks and now I come for some help. I am a total noob at this and is my first try. I have been germination some tabasco, habanero and reapers with the ziploc bag method. 2 days ago the tabasco finaly germinated and I have planted the seeds in a small container using Bio Bizz Light Mix ground.

Now the question is how long do I wait after I have planted the germinated seeds to see a sign of life or toss it and try again? I do not want to waste time as this is the time to plant these little guys.

Thank you in advance!

It can vary widely. I have some germinate within 3-4 days and some take as long as 30 days. If they are in a ziplock bag they would probably mold long before the 30day mark though. 

D3monic said:
It can vary widely. I have some germinate within 3-4 days and some take as long as 30 days. If they are in a ziplock bag they would probably mold long before the 30day mark though. 
I think he speaks about already germinated seeds, he moved from ziploc bag to the ground.

@bman900, you can put some pictures, this helps alot (and people around here enjoy in pictures).
I suppose in 2 days should show up, depends on how deep you put the germinated seeds.

As for me, I find other method to be the best: put the seeds on the soil mix without covering them, spray with water, cover with a foil or transparent cover, and let them to germinate. You can have a germination control (see if they germinate or not). When they start to germinate, I cover them with a thin layer of soil mix and spray again. Usually next day they pop up.

And welcome to the forum, forgot this :)

rghm1u20 said:
I think he speaks about already germinated seeds, he moved from ziploc bag to the ground.

@bman900, you can put some pictures, this helps alot (and people around here enjoy in pictures).
I suppose in 2 days should show up, depends on how deep you put the germinated seeds.

As for me, I find other method to be the best: put the seeds on the soil mix without covering them, spray with water, cover with a foil or transparent cover, and let them to germinate. You can have a germination control (see if they germinate or not). When they start to germinate, I cover them with a thin layer of soil mix and spray again. Usually next day they pop up.

And welcome to the forum, forgot this :)

Will post some pics when I get home. I do like the idea you suggested. Would there be harm if I transfer the rest of the seeds that are germinating in ziploc bag to the method you mentioned?

If the seeds are not germinated yet, is no problem. If already germinated, just handle with care.
I am using a grow box bought from Lidl, but can find in other places too, a box with a tray inside with cells, and a transparent cover.

I did the ziplock (Buckeye pepper variant with the glad containers) method. Once their roots were out, once planted, they popped within a couple days. Even after a week in the glad container, the ones that didn't sprout a tail germinated in soil within a few days.

Ok as promised I haz pictures! And a question. All of the plants started showing signs of life after placing them under a dome!

One of them really took of and keeps bending toward light from a window. I do not have grow lights and will not be getting any as I don't have that kind of money yet. When should I be taking this little one out from the dome and place it near a window? The little guy is presented bellow:

CDwkxfE.jpg

Here is my dome setup with a small heat pad sitting under the reapers:
EfGmPhe.jpg

bman900 said:
 I do not have grow lights and will not be getting any as I don't have that kind of money yet.
Where from do you have the heat pad, bought on internet?

You can set very simply some grow lights, and cheap. I bought some LEDs this year, but no time to set them up. Instead bought a so called lamp, in fact is only an electronic device to start the T8 18W tube, as you can see here http://www.dedeman.ro/ro/kit-cu-balast-electronic-1x18w.html . This is exactly the one I bought, about 5 euro with the tube included. Very cheap. I bought 2, and later another 2.
Depending on your grow setup, you can buy also the 36W version.

I'd say you can move them right now to the window - just be careful with the temperature there, if no heating source close there, probably is a colder area.

Back