• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Time to cut off the top of my Thai Dragon pepper plant? (photo)

I am growing this Thai Dragon red pepper plant in a pot. I am holding up a dollar bill so you can get a better idea as to the size of the plant.

I read somewhere that the plant will grow more bushy and possibly produce more peppers if you cut the top of the plant off at some point.

This is a young plant. Is it now time to cut the top off? If so, would you recommend cutting the top 1/3 it?

Thanks,
Ron

BTW ... The plant next to it is Thai basil

PepperPlant.jpg

u can cut it however u want what i did to one of mine was i fimd just the top growths and it brought the bottom branches up and 4 new growths to each top i fimd that looks like a pretty bushy plant already also u can do it to the thai basil i have 4 of those and i top and fim them

SweatSauwce said:
u can do it to the thai basil i have 4 of those and i top and fim them

Thanks for the info, but I am confused with you saying: 'fim' them

Do you mean 'trim them'?

Well, I left the pepper plant alone for now, but I did cut the top 3" off of the Thai basil plant.

I have got a lot of views on this thread, but only 1 reply (thanks SweatSauwce) ... I guess not too many people here cut the tops of there pepper plants.

Maybe it's not really that good of a thing to do, but I did read somewhere that it helps the plant get more bushy.

oh well ... I will give it a try anyway.

Turbota said:
Well, I left the pepper plant alone for now, but I did cut the top 3" off of the Thai basil plant.

I have got a lot of views on this thread, but only 1 reply (thanks SweatSauwce) ... I guess not too many people here cut the tops of there pepper plants.

Maybe it's not really that good of a thing to do, but I did read somewhere that it helps the plant get more bushy.

oh well ... I will give it a try anyway.

I think its using money as a size reference that is throwing people off.  From mostly lurking this website I've noticed the prefered point of reference is an empty beer bottle.  Take the 20 dollars, buy some beer, drink the beer, and if most of your problems don't go away after drinking the beer, hold the empty beer next to the plant and try another picture. 

Back