• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

time until pods?

are there any compiled spreadsheets on pepper breeds, and time until expected pod production? I cant help but look at some of the plant pictures on here, and wonder if i started too late in the season. are there breeds that bear pods early, or notoriously take longer?

First off, we need to know what kind of varieties you are growing. The super hots can take a long time to set pods.
For annums its around 70-90+ days. Supers usually take around 120+ days to set pods. You can always grow indoors under lights when temps drop.

First off, we need to know what kind of varieties you are growing. The super hots can take a long time to set pods.
For annums its around 70-90+ days. Supers usually take around 120+ days to set pods. You can always grow indoors under lights when temps drop.

giant jalapeno
red moruga scorpion
carolina reaper
firecracker chile
butch t trinidad scorpion
scotch bonnet
bhut jolokia
fatalii
naga viper
golden hab
early jalapeno
santa fe grande

So 60% of them will need more time, which means finish them indoors under lights :) If you have a nice hot long summer your supers or some of them coould possibly spit out pods just before frost if they were seedlings now

So 60% of them will need more time, which means finish them indoors under lights :) If you have a nice hot long summer your supers or some of them coould possibly spit out pods just before frost if they were seedlings now

They are about an inch or 2 high right now... hmm. We had like 20 days over 100 degrees last year, i can only hope for the same this year, but i don't think it will be matched.

Well, you can always put them under lights too. So Im sure you will be fine either way. You see, thats the beauty of it. You can grow year around with proper lights. This year I decided to grow super hots after it was to late. They still havent even sprouted yet, but I have grow lights so I'm covered ;)

What kind of lights are we talking about, do you need like those really expensice hps lights and stuff to support a full plant or what?

It depends on what you would call expensive? But yeah, it can be spendy at anywhere from $150-$300 per lighting unit. So if you only get one light it wont be to hard on the wallet :)

About how many plants could one lighting unit sustain, and do the bulbs last a long time or do you have to replace often. (also thanks for speedy response :))

It depends on the light you want. But for the most part one light will support two large pepper plants. I suppose you can cram more under say.... a 600 watt hps light with an XL hood, but plants like their space too. Most bulbs are recommended to be replaced yearly. You are welcome.Glad to help

i would do a lighted situation, but i think i might make it outside.

if i started them on 30 March, by my calculation, i should be producing pods on the super hots by july/aug. it will remain warm through sept.

You should be fine. It takes another 15-45 days for the pods to ripen with most of them being around 30 days from baby unripe pod until mature ripe pod. Just an FYI. But like like you said, you have a fairly long/hot summer so you should be fine. Lights can be a plan B if for some reason you experience set backs and or run out of time. Hope this helps!

Back