• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Tinkering with a peach bourbon sauce

Hey guys and gals, I just recently decided to venture into sauces that were not tomato based and a couple of days ago I wound up with a peach bourbon sauce. I've always cooked by eyeballing and constant taste testing so at the moment I can't give exact amounts of ingredients but they include...

- Peaches (pureed in a blender)
- Evan Williams Honey
- Dark Brown Sugar
- White Pepper
- Ghost Pepper
- Nutmeg
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Applewood Smoked Sea Salt

I then combined all the ingredients into a saucepan and let it simmer for a bit. I've had about 6 people taste it and they really like it, 2 had suggestions that had my mind thinking. The smell is very much of peach but the flavor does not come through as strongly as the smell. Other than adding peach extract, what can I do to bring it out more? Also, just reading over this list what would you add or take out? So far I am playing with the idea of onions and switching over to Jim Beam or perhaps some Knob Creek (What I normally cook with). Thanks in advance guys!

Hummm, for more peach flavor I think I would try adding some peach nectar. You can find 12 oz cans in most groceries. For consistency try adding carrots or sweet potatoes. Their flavor is pretty much neutral so the sauce flavor wont change. Cook it all together till they’re soft then into the blender. Then cook till you have the consistency you want. If your bottling it make sure that the bottles, reducers and caps are all sanitized and your sauce is heated to 190 degrees F for at least 15 minutes. Check that the ph is about 4 or less and keep an eye on the temp while bottling and if it falls below 185 heat it back up then continue bottling. Once it’s in the bottles reducers and caps on, invert the bottles for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the hot sauce to sterilize the reducers and caps. Just MHO, hope it helps. Sauce sounds good.

Edit: Just thought of this you might try using some plum puree to help with the consistency. IMO it would give a nice medimum thick sauce and add another layer of flavor to the sauce without taking away the peach.

Cheers,
RM

Hummm, for more peach flavor I think I would try adding some peach nectar. You can find 12 oz cans in most groceries. For consistency try adding carrots or sweet potatoes. Their flavor is pretty much neutral so the sauce flavor wont change. Cook it all together till they’re soft then into the blender. Then cook till you have the consistency you want. If your bottling it make sure that the bottles, reducers and caps are all sanitized and your sauce is heated to 190 degrees F for at least 15 minutes. Check that the ph is about 4 or less and keep an eye on the temp while bottling and if it falls below 185 heat it back up then continue bottling. Once it’s in the bottles reducers and caps on, invert the bottles for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the hot sauce to sterilize the reducers and caps. Just MHO, hope it helps. Sauce sounds good.

Edit: Just thought of this you might try using some plum puree to help with the consistency. IMO it would give a nice medimum thick sauce and add another layer of flavor to the sauce without taking away the peach.

Cheers,
RM

Wow, I really appreciate all the info! I went out to the store today and could find neither plums (not in season?) or peach nectar, perhaps it's just Giant Eagle that doesn't have it. There is a local Whole Foods that I figure should have the stuff. I am a bit curious about adding sweet potato now though...

I used them in my Jamaican style hot sauce. Take a look here:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20941-jamaican-so-hot-sauce/

I sent out some bottles of it this week so keep an eye on the thread for some reviews. I think it really worked well as a thickner like carrots normally would. I think that they added to how aggressive the fermentation went at first because they added alot more sugars to the mix. The taste and consistency were great and no reduction in heat either.

Cheers,
RM

I used them in my Jamaican style hot sauce. Take a look here:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20941-jamaican-so-hot-sauce/

I sent out some bottles of it this week so keep an eye on the thread for some reviews. I think it really worked well as a thickner like carrots normally would. I think that they added to how aggressive the fermentation went at first because they added alot more sugars to the mix. The taste and consistency were great and no reduction in heat either.

Cheers,
RM

Wow, those pictures were pretty interesting and you've given me some ideas. I am curious to know how the flavor is after it has fermented.

So, I believe I finally have the sauce where I want it. The first batch had a nice bite that I toned down for the general public so they could handle to try it. I need to get some strips to do a proper ph test but I made sure it was jarred at 190 degrees F. I even took the liberty of writing it all down as I did it haha..

8 California peaches blended to a puree
3 Plums blended to a puree
1 1/2 cup peach nectar
1 1/2 cup peach preserve
3/4 cup Jim Beam
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp Red Savina
1/4 tsp Bhut Jolokia
1 tsp Saigon cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

Lucky for me I live 10 minutes from down town Columbus and Cajohn has a shop set up which he attends on a regular basis and I was recommended to bring it in for the big taste test.

This sounds awesome and I can't wait to try making something similar. It sounds like it would go really well with one of my favorite cigars, the CAO moontrance. It's peach and bourbon vanilla flavored and is quite tastey.

Back