• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Tips for making a fruity hot sauce?

It's been my goal for sometime now to grow my own chiles and make sauces out of them. I want to use some typical ingredients such as white vinegar, choco habs, salt, spices & herbs, garlic, onion, xanthan gum, etc. But I really want to incorporate some fruit in the mix. I'm thinking lime juice for sure, but more along the lines of peach, nectarine, or maybe even some berries :) or apple ;) .

I'm growing caribbean red habs, ghost peppers, moruga scorpions, manzano, 7 pot brainstrain red, aji lemon drop, choco fatalii, choco habs, and hot chipotle peppers. I plan on making a smokey chipotle sauce, a normal choco hab smokey sauce, and a superhot sauce. I will prob be using a caribbean red hab base with a moruga scorpion or two into the mix.. The superhot sauce will be my fruity sauce. Goes great with the heat.

Any tips? I've never made hot sauce before, but I'm super excited to do so. You guys are the pros so help me out!

:) :onfire:

take a look around at some of the sauces made in this forum, that will give you some good ideas on where to start. definitely agree with onion, garlic, carrots, ginger. 

SavinaRed said:
Yes all 3 of those are a must- onion,garlic and ginger.
+1.

I must try Cilantro as I haven't as yet.

As its winter down here, there aren't many fresh pods on my mature plants. Thinking of making my next batch in a couple of weeks with the smoked pod powder and the few fresh pods I have. But this time I want to experiment with fruits. Thinking of something that'll work with strawberries. Hadn't thought of pineapple so may try that. Thoughts??

Oh, and apple cider vinegar is all I have used so far too. I chose it for its sweetness and flavor. I've had no complaints as yet.

Cheers.....

I was gong to say use fruit like a smart ass but the boss beat me to it with his post of fruity pebbles...

a mango habanero hot sauce or variation thereof is one of my favorites...not for sure but there may be a recipe for it on the forum..

I'm having a 'use up bits and pieces of fruit' day .. so far I'm pairing three cups of peaches with two cups raspberries and two large naga jolokias (no He Man reason: i was just amazed to see them in the local supermarket and wanted to see if they were actually the real deal ... they were. Ouch.)

Using a combo of apple cider vinegar and lime juice for acid, and maple syrup for the sugar injection ....

Will post results later .....

TheOrangeCat said:
I'm having a 'use up bits and pieces of fruit' day .. so far I'm pairing three cups of peaches with two cups raspberries and two large naga jolokias (no He Man reason: i was just amazed to see them in the local supermarket and wanted to see if they were actually the real deal ... they were. Ouch.)

Using a combo of apple cider vinegar and lime juice for acid, and maple syrup for the sugar injection ....

Will post results later .....
that sounds tasty !

I make a mango habanero sauce and its one of my favorites.  A small tip, the mangos dont impart a whole lot of sweetness on their own, especially when being over shadowed by a hot pepper.  I would think that the same concept would apply to other fruit.  I add agave nectar (quite liberally) to increase the sweetness.  Agave is nice because its sweet, doesnt impart much flavor of its own, and you dont have to worry about it crystallizing like white granular sugar.

Heisenberg said:
I make a mango habanero sauce and its one of my favorites.  A small tip, the mangos dont impart a whole lot of sweetness on their own, especially when being over shadowed by a hot pepper.  I would think that the same concept would apply to other fruit.  I add agave nectar (quite liberally) to increase the sweetness.  Agave is nice because its sweet, doesnt impart much flavor of its own, and you dont have to worry about it crystallizing like white granular sugar.

That is a great tip ... my peach raspberry ghost sauce creation this weekend was a) rather overshadowed by the raspberries and b) as a consequence a little tart.

Will try the Agave Solution with the next batch.

Back