• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

To amputate or to attempt to save?

P1090152.jpg

The girlfriend was carless when opening the curtain and snapped a branch on one of the plants on the windowsill. The branch is still attached to the main stem. Any thoughts on whether or no it could be saved by using tape to tap it back and wax to seal the wound?

Cut it free and try to get it to root in a glass of water. If it roots you just got 2 plants. It may take 3 weeks, but go for it.

Did you try and save it? If you cut it off, is there new growth from that branch?

I have used the tape method with an orchid flower once and it worked pretty well. I did apply some growth hormone (cutting/rooting powder, but it is in fact a growth hormone) to the wound. But today my Aji Habanero has had a little fender bender as well and I was kind of hoping for answers here. Will the mended branch be able to carry any fruit? Because mine broke a couple of inches above the first fork, a little below the first node of that branch. I might put it in the cuttingboard. This thing:
cuttingboard2.jpg

But it seems a waste firing up the cuttingboard for 1 cutting. Mainly a waste of space and a light source, both of which are quite scarce with nearly 150 plants in a 90m² appartment...

I would go the tape and wax route myself. Then stake the branch to take the load off of the tape. That should work for both of you. Best of luck guys.

I've not used the wax and tape method because I wasn't sure how long the branch had been snapped like that. So what I have done is just wired up the snap using some garden wire. It's been about a week since the snap and both the branches are doing fine. No leaf drop, not even flower drop which is surprising.

Back