• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

To mulch or not to mulch!

So as topic says, Im hoping to plant out some tomorrow some later in the week. I have both some 100% wood chips-no dyes. And also some foil plastic mulch/black on other side. What do you recommend?>

Thanks for the vid Trent.That guy does some informational work.As to the question,I'm using red cedar mulch this year after having great luck last year with it.

Mulch... always mulch.  i swear by it.  been doing it more than ten years.  my yields are high and keeps down weeding as a chore.  too much plus to almost no minus.  we use oak leaves, pine straw, and straw.  

looks like you are in illinois also,  last time is seriously grew some peppers was 2006, used black plastic sheeting for mulch had best year ever, had about 20 plants and most were 3 ft tall +  and more ppepers than i could begin to use  seemed to have a multiple benefits, early in the year the black plastic helped keep everything warm, then it keeps weeds from growing and then keeps the moisture in the soil so much less watering required.  using it this year as the plot i am using was part of my yard before and i didn't till, just put the down plastic to kill off the grass then dug holes and filled with some potting mix i made, hopefully it will work out this year, won't know until this fall i suppose.  i had the black plastic down for about a month, to kill off the grass then for about the last week and a half had clear down to warm the soil, now have back back in place for plant out tomorrow

Back