• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Tobacco mosaic on seeds?

Nope, it dies when it's burnt. The real fear is transmitting it through infected leaf material and anything that the leaves have touched ie the whole cigarette, pack, and packaging. TMV has been shown in some studies to survive up to 50 years on infected tissue and in field soil.

I'm a smoker, and I just don't pet/fondle my plants too much. There is a danger of transmission from tobacco products though, but I don't know anyone who's experienced it personally.

Your sure about the plants not being able to get it from tobacco smoke? A lot of articles I read say don't smoke near plants.

chillilover said:
Your sure about the plants not being able to get it from tobacco smoke? A lot of articles I read say don't smoke near plants.

Yup, smoke is pretty sterile I'm sure, since it was just on fire!:mouthonfire:

I think the reason they stress not to smoke around the plants is because if you're smoking, you probly just touched a cigarette. That's where the infection can occur is by contact with the tobacco product and then with your plants. It is like a bacteria or a virus you could get. Needs direct transmission from one surface to the next to infect.

Wow this is news to me. When transplanting all my sprouts to bigger pots I did it outside on the patio table with a cigar in hand. I'm surprised nothing happened to the or is it only cigarettes that cause a problem because of the chemicals in them that cigars don't have.

LGHT said:
Wow this is news to me. When transplanting all my sprouts to bigger pots I did it outside on the patio table with a cigar in hand. I'm surprised nothing happened to the or is it only cigarettes that cause a problem because of the chemicals in them that cigars don't have.

You probably run a greater risk with cigarettes becuse they often contain tobacco if sh*tty quality. You can't roll a cigar from sick leafes. (I don't consider the cheap ones made from short filler cigars;) )

Back