• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Today's habanero picking

Hello my pepperhead friends!
I thought I'd share my excitement as I've got myself a decent haul of habs for the first time this year! This is realy the second picking but the first doesn't count much as it was just a few off each plant and they were kinda weak. I can tell the heat scale has bumped up a notch since about 2 weeks ago! My little food dehydrator will be working overtime the next two days:)

Caribbean Habs:
p3pperz.jpg

My small 'sea of green' p3pperz:
seaofgreen.jpg

Thanks for the feedback! I only know these ones as Caribbean habaneros so I guess they are the Caribbean Reds. They are definately hotter then the ordinary habs and are about equal to the Red Savinas. I love the taste and burn of these and have 4 rows dedicated to to them. If the weather stays good I'll problably be pulling off a haul like above every 2 weeks. My Nagas, Red Savinas, Thais, and Jalapenos are slowly coming around.

As for storing/eating them I eat as many fresh as I can with each meal, but after they are picked they only stay good for about a week. So 90% of them will get put into the food dehydrator for about 12hrs. I cut the tops off and cut them directly in half, so they look like red bananna chips when dried. When done I put them in a vacuum sealed container for storage. When it comes for cooking I can just throw the chips into a pan/pot of food and spice things up and throw out the used pepper(but I've never done this as I eat them all) or I can crush them up into a powder as they are dry enough that they just crumble right up. I normally do crumble them up and this is how I always get my hot hands effect and end up burning my junk or even others:lol:

Great Harvest! Quite a few plants you have dedicated to just this variety, although I may have as many next year. I love em, too, although I still haven't burned my junk yet:lol: Nice job.

Scott

JavaScottC said:
Great Harvest! I love em, too, although I still haven't burned my junk yet:lol: Nice job.
Scott

Oh, your missing out. Its great fun. I ended up hurting my eye, nose, and junk all in a few hours. Soap, and even rubbing alchy didnt come close to cleaning my hands after seeding a few of my habs. Its gloves from here on out. LOL

Oh ya, nice haul of habs!!!

:lol::lol: I'm such an arse! I just cut a bunch of habs up for the dehydrator and I not only burnt my junk once again, but my nose and one eye is frying!! arrghhhhhh:onfire::rolleyes:

Pepp3rFreak said:
:lol::lol: I'm such an arse! I just cut a bunch of habs up for the dehydrator and I not only burnt my junk once again, but my nose and one eye is frying!! arrghhhhhh:onfire::rolleyes:

There should be a help group for folks like you and Passow.

"Redthumb" said:
How do you get to the pods on the back plants without trampling the ones in front?

I plant them in rows, there is about 4 feet between the roots so when the plants grow up there is still at least 2 foot of space to walk through between the rows. I run a tiller through the rows every week to keep it open and de-weeded.

rows.jpg

wow what a difference a couple months make :lol:

"Chuk Hell" said:
There should be a help group for folks like you and Passow.

:rolleyes: I agree. I constantly burn myself this time of the year as I'm to macho to use gloves. But then again I wouldn't be sitting here with a cold washcloth on my junk if I used my head more :)

Pepp3rFreak said:
I plant them in rows, there is about 4 feet between the roots so when the plants grow up there is still at least 2 foot of space to walk through between the rows. I run a tiller through the rows every week to keep it open and de-weeded.

rows.jpg

wow what a difference a couple months make :lol:

:rolleyes: I agree. I constantly burn myself this time of the year as I'm to macho to use gloves. But then again I wouldn't be sitting here with a cold washcloth on my junk if I used my head more :)
I don't use them either. I must admit. That's probably why I've burnt my junk a few times too!!..LOL!!

Back