• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tolerance or lack of heat?

Well, I don't know if my tolerance is just really high, or if the peppers that I am eating are just not that hot.

I picked my first ripe hab out of my garden yesterday, and sampled it. There was some heat, but it really didn't seem that hot... I chalked it up to the pod being kind of weak.

Then I was at my parent's house, and picked a scotch bonnet out of my dad's garden. I cut off a sliver today, and sampled it... not very hot, so I popped the rest of it in my mouth... There was some heat, but not what I would expect from a bonnet.

I have been dousing just about everything in either Melinda's naga sauce, or LDHS orange, [or one of the other 15-20 hot sauces I have], so I am not sure if my tolerance is just at an all time high, or if the peppers in this area are just not very hot. We have had a lack of rain lately, and my dad hasn't been watering much due to some well issues... so I thought it would have been at least a little stressed out. I might eat a spoonful of CaJohn's scorpion sauce, and see if that elicits any excitement. :)

It is possible that the peppers were lacking, we had a real problem with this last year when it was really hot and dry. I have been testing peppers this year and haven't found any that were not hot, but I did just receive a complaint from a customer about one of their peppers not having any heat. I guess I better sit down and start testing a bunch tonight before I ship any more out.

I am thinking now that it is just lack of heat. I just made a bowl of rice and cut up a fresh cayenne to throw in there, and I think it is hotter than the scotch or hab. The cayenne peppers, incidentally, are huge! They are all about the size of a large carrot. :)

Thanks for the replies. I would hate to think that my tolerance is at a point where I can handle most [non-superhot] peppers easily, and then find out the hard way that I can't. :)

... I would hate to think that my tolerance is at a point where I can handle most [non-superhot] peppers easily, and then find out the hard way that I can't. :)

Ahh but then you would really increase your tolerance. The fastest way to build your tolerance is to jump right into the deep end. It's a win-win situation.

I had a similar experience today with my first ghost pepper. The pepper was not ripe yet, it was a light green but I was dying to try it as I have never tried one before. I chopped it up, added it to salsa and at the whole thing on a chip. Nothing. Not even a little hot. Do ghost peppers need to ripen to gain heat? It was about an inch and a half long, the seeds inside were still on the green side. Not an ounce of heat. I hope that the rest of the pods get hot. Has anyone ever experienced a superhot without any heat?

I had a similar experience today with my first ghost pepper. The pepper was not ripe yet, it was a light green but I was dying to try it as I have never tried one before. I chopped it up, added it to salsa and at the whole thing on a chip. Nothing. Not even a little hot. Do ghost peppers need to ripen to gain heat? It was about an inch and a half long, the seeds inside were still on the green side. Not an ounce of heat. I hope that the rest of the pods get hot. Has anyone ever experienced a superhot without any heat?

Sounds like it was still too immature. I've tried a 7 Pot Jonah that was just like your Bhut Jolokia, all green and the seeds were still green too. It also had 0 heat to it. But when I let the pods fully ripen on the same plant, they pack a TON of heat. Let them ripen then try them, I'm pretty sure you'll see a stark contrast.

Back