• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tomato cuttings........

Take a 6" side shoot from a tomato, transplant it,two weeks later you have a healthy tomato plant. Success rate 90%. You have a mature plant within two weeks.

Can you take cuttings from a pepper? If so, how.

Ciao all-

Anything in the nightshade family will root, but at different rates. Tomato and tomatillo stems are fleshier than pepper and eggplant stems. I didn't know and no one could tell me if eggplant cuttings would root. I experimented with a new transplant that Duane beheaded with the lawnmower cord and it did finally root. I planted that clone in a pot, but production was far less than my eggplants in the garden beds because of the time it needed to develop a strong root system. I think if you have the means to over-winter clones or have a long growing season, you'd probably get very good results with production.

peppernut said:
Take a 6" side shoot from a tomato, transplant it,two weeks later you have a healthy tomato plant. Success rate 90%. You have a mature plant within two weeks.

Can you take cuttings from a pepper? If so, how.

wish i knew that when i dropped a plant yesterday and threw it in the trash :(

I had one of my second year Habaneros fall over and some of the stems on one side snapped off. I removed all of the large leaves, and wrapped up a napkin around the bottom of the stem, soaked it in Distilled water and placed the whole thing inside a plastic container with plastic wrap over it and placed it in my grow room under lights.

All but one of three made it, and it takes a while but now it's off like a rocket.

You could use Root powder and anti fungal which helps but it's not 100% required.

Take a branch, use a scalpel to get a "finer" cut, dip it in cloning gel (or use other forms of rooting hormones, just remember it needs moisture to root, so when using powder for example... add water) and place it in the proper sized rockwool cube. it'll work. a bit expensive, but will work. cheaper to just plant a new seed. a good idea when seeds are not available, though.

Back