• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment tomatoes for salsa

Almost everyone was saying Roma (their ok). I wanted to suggest some other, more flavorful tomatoes IMO.
The heart tomatoes are my favorites. I have many varieties, but only so much space for the tomatoes. They
take a lot more room than peppers. I have to carefully select next years varieties.

I have 4 romas going right now. My buddy is growing the san manzanos, get a comparison of homegrown tomotoes hopfully.

I'd like to see that comparison. This spring I'll be growing a couple san marzano varieties. I found this san marzano gigante that has me all hot and bothered about and excited to see how it holds up in north Texas heat.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/11641/403

Plum variety are the best but if you have a favorite tomato for flavor, if you dice it properly, it will work.
  1. Scoop out the stem end and core of the tomato using an inexpensive metal measuring spoon. Use the 1/2 tsp. size unless you have an unusually large tomato.
  2. Cut the tomato in half across the middle. Don't cut from the stem down.
  3. Scoop out the seeds and connecting gel from the inside of the tomato. Use clean hands to clean this out, instead of a spoon or other utensil which might scrape off usable tomato pieces.
  4. Place a tomato half on the cutting board with the cut side down. Hold the top of the tomato with your left hand. Cut the tomato in half again by slicing it halfway through, parallel to the cutting board. If you have an unusually large tomato, cut it into three equal slices.
  5. Keep the tomato slices in place where they are. Cut down through all the slices at once, all across the tomato, to create stacked strips that are about 1/4-inch wide.
  6. Turn the cutting board 90 degrees, which is easier than turning slippery stacks of tomato strips. Keep your hand in place on top of the strips to keep them steady. Cut down through the strips to turn them into cubes about 1/4 inch across each way.
(src: http://www.ehow.com/...ice-tomato.html)

Just dicing the tomato as is, you will have a lot of goop and not a nice square dice.

It's a good tip because some people rule out certain tomatoes because they are goopy when diced but are not dicing properly.

I should have said that too. It is a great tip, also some people don't think to scoop out the innerts.
which is fine if a waterier salsa is desired. We had a pear shaped yellow cherry tomato plant of some sort, and
it made the best salsa we ever had.

We have some Tomatoes we just picked called Mr. Stripeys, they are the size of a small Cantaloup.
Prolly to sweet for salsa, but good eatin with S&P

Back