• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tommys South Texas Glog 16

ok so I figure it's a little late for a glog, so here's what I've been up to in the past year. Starting with the last pic of the babies under lights before they moved outside. Might need some bumpage, quite a few pics.

FTRI6na.jpg

7ufxFnd.jpg

nx8KVi5.jpg

uBIk5Fh.jpg

awCQWbE.jpg

GJTqRM4.jpg

rUSheBS.jpg

rupSBvN.jpg

b1Nil3V.jpg

More pepper pics to follow!

Alright so a couple things from the past two days. Separated pods in the freezer and weighed out. 8.8lbs so far. Also made a datil vinegar and a hot sauce that I forgot to take pictures of. Both turned out great, the sauce is delicious but a little thicker than I was aiming for. Still not bad for my first shot, it was a learning experience.
1.Old Tabasco bottles mouths are a bit too small for anything besides a really thin sauce.
2. When it comes to a cooking pot for the sauce, deep may be better than wide for immersion blending.
3. Sauce popping onto skin isn't the most fun experience, but it's a good indicator of how spicy it's gonna be depending on the linger of the burn.

Here's some pics, I'll add a pic of the sauce at lunch.

CH8U3iJ.jpg

This datil vinegar was made with about 5 frozen datils and a big clove of garlic, with white vinegar. Amazing stuff, only gonna get better with age.

0HTX29i.jpg

Set-up a sample bag for a buddy so he can decide which peppers to use for his salsas and sauces

RQXTIb8.jpg

A bag of Aji's for my Peruvian restaurateur friend

kE5NYXm.jpg

cubbieblue82 said:
oh, to be in texas!!!! :D looks great!!!!!
If only the heat would back off a touch and we could get some showers every now and then, it'd be perfect! Finally added a little shade cloth and Alaska fish fert to the garden, the plants are kicking flowers out again like crazy. Hoping they set so I can avoid a summer stall.

Finally hitting that summer stall. I put up shade cloth and fed with some Alaska fish fert a few mornings ago. They're not really showing much relief with the cloth, it may be a little too restrictive or it could be a hanging a little too low. Tons of flowers on all the plants, hardly any new pods though. And the pods that are on are much smaller now. Oh well, just gotta keep em alive until it starts cooling off again.

twilliams386 said:
And here's the sauce. I based it on D3monics "Fatalii Dream"

10 Aji Pineapple
6 Datil
1 yellow brain
1 Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
1 honeycrisp Apple
1/2 white onion
5 cloves garlic
2 bell peppers
White wine vinegar
Agave nectar
Sea salt
Water

l7tMZRm.jpg

Looks like it turned out really good, I need to make some sauces soon as well. Might try my hand at fermenting this summer. Just need to read up on it. 

D3monic said:
Looks like it turned out really good, I need to make some sauces soon as well. Might try my hand at fermenting this summer. Just need to read up on it.
Turned out Damn good. A bit too thick, but that's easy to tweak. I smoked the peppers onions and garlic, man oh man.

wiriwiri said:
That is a :hot: creation you have there friend ;)
Definitely is! Fantastic flavor all around. Next round will be either brains and peach ghost scorpions or a chocolate mix with habs ghosts and fataliis.

Couple shots of the garden as of this morning

eULWJkV.jpg

dswyotr.jpg

OrXYhIL.jpg

And here's the trunk of my yellow brainstrain

AGxXNBE.jpg

Really hoping this turns into my first SB7J pod of the year. Only plant that hasn't produced anything yet

XvP30lV.jpg

Might need a bump soon, I'm prepping for a chocolate puree with 600g of choc habs, choc ghosts and choc fatalii's. After that I'll try a green blend with mostly Jalapeños and a few other peppers that got picked too early. Hopefully I have enough jars

twilliams386 said:
Might need a bump soon, I'm prepping for a chocolate puree with 600g of choc habs, choc ghosts and choc fatalii's. After that I'll try a green blend with mostly Jalapeños and a few other peppers that got picked too early. Hopefully I have enough jars
That's all sounds wonderful! You have 2 of my favorite peppers in there: choc habs & choc Bhuts. I don't have much experience with the choc Fatalii...maybe tried it once. And I also love anything jalapeño. So my taste buds woke up when I read this. :) Great stuff!

-Adam

Bhuter said:
That's all sounds wonderful! You have 2 of my favorite peppers in there: choc habs & choc Bhuts. I don't have much experience with the choc Fatalii...maybe tried it once. And I also love anything jalapeño. So my taste buds woke up when I read this. :) Great stuff!
-Adam
I hope it turns out as great as it sounds! Also got some pork shoulder going for carnitas tonight, so I'll be able to try both of these out on some delicious tacos

Ended up only making one more puree, though I do plan on making the jalapeno puree at another time.

Look at the size of these spring pods!

ZMN6pC6.jpg

600g of chocolate habs, ghosts and fataliis. Plus a few more fresh picked one's that didn't get smoked

2ZiZkuF.jpg

Gettin some smoke on these bad boys. Lump hickory with applewood chunks.

cPff0mf.jpg

Missed the cook down photo op, but here's the final product after BWB. 3 8oz jars of Desolation.

HfzJuuz.jpg

I'll be trying my 3 latest creations on some carnitas tacos pretty soon, more pics to follow

Plants and pods looking good as well as the sauces!

I can't wait until the weather cools some, just get us through August please ;)

Back