• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tom's 24 plants in Southern New Mexico

Hi everyone.  This is my first G-log and my 2nd year growing peppers.  I have 24 plants in the ground.  I planted them the last week of April 2016.  I grew about 13 from seeds and the others I purchased as seedlings.

The List: (Capsicum type, Pepper Name, Source)

C. annuum
Big Jim , Chile Pepper Institute
6-4, Chile Pepper Institute  ------***Died by wind storm****----
Joe Parker, Chile Pepper Institute
Espanola Improved, Chile Pepper Institute
Primavera, Chile Pepper Institute
NuMex Twighlight, Chile Pepper Institute
Rooster Sauce, secret source
 ​
C. baccatum
Rainforest, Geonerd / OP
 ​
C. chinense
Primo, peppersbymail.com
Red Savina, chileplants.com
 ​
Purchased plants

C. chinense
Reaper, chileplants.com
Datil, Sweet, chileplants.com
Bhut Jolokia, chileplants.com
Butch T Scorpion, Local Nursery
 ​
C. annuum
Doux de Espagne, chileplants.com
Mitla Hybrid, chileplants.com
Big Jim, Home Depot
Big Red Bell, Home Depot
 ​
 ​
I will post pics, etc. soon.

Thanks,
Tom

Last year 2015, I made many mistakes...

1) I put too many plants into the 4x8 planters.  This meant they didn't get enough water, food, or sun.  they also were hard to pick when so close to each other.
2) I didn't feed them for the first month or more.  As you will see in the pictures, they are scrawny plants that are off-color.  After feeding them they came to life and flourished!

Ok, (2015) pictures of last years plants that shows lack of nutrients or food.  Look how bad they look!   I know better now!

So, once I realized they needed food, I fed them and wow, they changed dramatically in just a couple of days...

And then later, the plants got a little crowded but produced well (2015):

One of many 2015 harvests after learning a lot...

So, here's to 2016!  Cheers!  -Tom

I have 2 plants that are having a hard time since being placed outside.  I did not harden these after receiving them from chileplants.com.  They arrived in good condition but maybe I should have taken a little more care to adapt them.  Oh well, we'll see how they do.  They still have green leaves so...

Hey Tom, I like those wind breaks!  Looks similar to what I rigged up, haha.  I'm about an hour away from Las Cruces down I-10 and have had those gnarly days of wind too.  How has your humidity been?  Ive watched small storm clouds snake around me all week keeping me around single digit humidity.  Keep up the good work!

Nice grow!

I know for sure you're in a tough climate for peppers. I'm in South Tejas and at this time of year pod setting is a chore as the temps get too high. One good thing, if you run them until it cools down in September-October, they will flower and set again. Good luck!

DesertRoots said:
Hey Tom, I like those wind breaks!  Looks similar to what I rigged up, haha.  I'm about an hour away from Las Cruces down I-10 and have had those gnarly days of wind too.  How has your humidity been?  Ive watched small storm clouds snake around me all week keeping me around single digit humidity.  Keep up the good work!

It's more humid today, 25%, and some storms are building up right now around here.  I just took the wind breaks away, so hopefully I don't have to run and put them up again!
Devv said:
Nice grow!

I know for sure you're in a tough climate for peppers. I'm in South Tejas and at this time of year pod setting is a chore as the temps get too high. One good thing, if you run them until it cools down in September-October, they will flower and set again. Good luck!
True, last year they were putting out pods like crazy just before the freezes started.  Good luck to you too.

Two plants (Datil and Mitla) before and after pics.  
Both suffered from transplant shock, but mostly from not hardening after receiving them from chileplants.com.  I am very happy with the 6 plant I did get from chileplants.com.    Now they are doing well...

Things are going well here in warm Southern New Mexico!  I have the typical issues of bugs, etc, but nothing serious.  I have been feeding every 2 weeks with Fox Farms liquid fertilizers (Tiger Bloom right now) and watering 4 days a week or about every other day.  

The raised bed plants are far happier, bigger, and producing fruit steadily.  The potted plants..not so much.  Well, here's some pics...

Back