• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tonly's 2011 grow log

2010 was my first season of growing anything other than the common jalapenos, serranos, etc. I have big plans for 2011. I'll try to document it here. There are so many top rate gardeners and photographers here that this will pale in comparison.
I have some random pics posted here from 2010: My link

I have my first seeds down and several plants overwintering that I'll take pics of soon. Still working on my grow list for 2011. So many peppers, only so much room.
Toby

Nice update and beautiful greenhouse. What are you using for the potting mix?

Thanks Zander. My potting mix is probably the source of some of my problems. I tend to use whatever is on hand and cheap. The seedling mix is peat moss, some perlite I bought labeled as coarse but was actually almost powder, vermiculite, lime, epsom salt, and boron.
The mix I recently had problems with was the above mix cut in half with compost. It probably would have been OK for older plants but the new seedlings didn't like it.
The big plants I am over wintering are growing in the mix from the raised beds they were in. It is mostly sand, sawdust, and compost. Also have some growing in a mix that is peat, pine bark, sand and sawdust.
When I read the ingredients on "professional" potting mixes, I just can't bring myself to fork over the big bucks they sell for. I can buy a bale of peat moss which seems to be the main ingredient for about a fourth the price of the same amount of potting mix.
That is all of my "dirty" secrets. I promise. ;)

...It is mostly sand, sawdust, and compost. Also have some growing in a mix that is peat, pine bark, sand and sawdust.

FYI

"Sawdust - the species of tree from which sawdust is derived largely determines its quality and value for use in a growing media. Several sawdusts, such as walnut and non-composted redwood, are known to have direct phytotoxic effects. However, the C:N of sawdust is such that it is not readily decomposed. The high cellulose and lignin content along with insufficient N supplies creates depletion problems which can severely restrict plant growth. However supplemental appli-cations of nitrogen can reduce this problem." Source

I am terrible at container gardening and am by no means an expert, but I have read things similar in other places. Based on your pictures though, your plants are looking just fine.

Josh, thanks for the link. I guess the reason I've not had any problems with nitrogen deficiencies is I add enough back in my feeding program. Also, I try to use the most aged sawdust I can get.
I saw rice hulls mentioned in the link. There is a place not too far from me that sells them for poultry house bedding. Might have to try some of them instead of sawdust.

Worked on the DWC setup some this weekend. Maintaining proper ph and nutrients in all those separate buckets was taking too much time. So I buried a bucket in the floor to use as a reservoir and put a pump in it and connected 5 of the buckets together. Now I can monitor the water in just the reservoir instead of each bucket separately. Much easier.
The other 5 buckets have the coconut chunks as grow medium. I think I will find a use for this product but not in any kind of system that re-circulates the water. Too much debris and gunk floating around.
DSC_0010.jpg

Here is a first for me. This 7 Pot Primo had 2 pairs of seed leaves from one seed. A smaller set just below the main set.

DSC_0022.jpg

Both sets of seed leaves have been followed by true leaves. Will be interesting to see what it does.

DSC_0034.jpg

Tried to take some pics of individual plants I'm overwintering.
Bhut Jolokia. This one actually has a few small red pods on it.

DSC_0002.jpg

The Yellow 7 plants were massive in the garden.

DSC_0037.jpg

This is my favorite Bhut plant from 2010. Had 4" bumpy, twisted, spiked pods this summer.

DSC_0022.jpg

Everything seems to be growing OK right now. Nearly all the overwintered plants are blooming with some setting pods.

As always, lots more pics here: January 9, 2011 update

I was moving some plants around this morning as it is getting a little crowded in the greenhouse. Accidentally broke this strangely growing branch off of a bhut plant. Rather than round, it was growing flat. About 3/8" wide. At the end I counted over 40 buds.

DSC_0183.jpg

you've got some monsters growing in there! Is the crowded bhut in the last pic the one on the floor in the first pic? HOT PEPPER DOWN!! Maybe you could try and splice it onto another plant. I would like to try that this year. I would also like to try hydro someday. Looks great keep'em coming.

edit: spell check

you've got some monsters growing in there! Is the crowded bhut in the last pic the one on the floor in the first pic? HOT PEPPER DOWN!! Maybe you could try and splice it onto another plant. I would like to try that this year. I would also like to try hydro someday. Looks great keep'em coming.

They are becoming monsters! Not quite sure which pics you're referring to.

I'm finding that hydroponics is definitely for folks that enjoy tinkering and DIY projects. You can probably set up a 5 gallon bucket for deep water culture cheaper than you could buy a nice container and grow in potting soil. The problem is that you'll think that was too easy then you set up more and more buckets then you'll want to build a reservoir and hook them all together then try and automate everything then try all the different nutrients then decide maybe a flood and drain type system would be better then.... :crazy: Looks like you have a nice light already. I'd be careful if I were you. :lol:

Haha yeah that is what I am scared of, the more I DIY the more I want to keep working on DIY projects. I love it keeps me busy and entertained. This is what I was referring to:
MpLN2.jpg

Ahh, that one. That was a casualty from last weekend. Not even sure where it came from. Guess I should clean house before I get the camera out next time.

I'm trying to figure out how I missed this thread.

Tonly this may only be your second year of growing peppers but something tells me you've done some growing before. Your set up is very professional looking and I have no doubt will produce more peppers than you and your girls can eat! I am really looking forward to following your season. Best of luck to you!

Thanks Patrick. You're right about having more peppers than we can eat. Have no idea what to do with all of them. Don't know about the experienced grower and professional set up. I think it has more to do with beginner's luck. I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

I'm excited about seeing everyone's season this year. There are lots of great grow logs getting started. It may be January but to a chilehead it's time to get plantin'. :woohoo:

Made more changes to DWC setup this weekend. I cleaned out the 5 buckets that I used coconut croutons for grow medium and replaced with hydroton. The coconut was just not right for DWC. Then I buried another bucket in the floor and plumbed the buckets together. It is now 2 completely separate 5 bucket systems each with its own reservoir. Much easier to monitor the water quality now.

Here is the setup:

DSC_0007.jpg

This plant suffered some from root damage and fertilizer burn during the move but I think it will recover OK.

DSC_0010.jpg

This is the Yellow Scorpion doing the best for me right now. It is actually trying to bud already.

DSC_0008.jpg

There have been aphids all winter long but the ladybugs have kept them in check pretty good until recently. Decided they needed some help so here's what 5000 ladybugs look like.

DSC_0006.jpg

There have been aphids all winter long but the ladybugs have kept them in check pretty good until recently. Decided they needed some help so here's what 5000 ladybugs look like.

DSC_0006.jpg

Looking great. Did you count the ladiebugs :)

Been a while since an update. Things are growing and I'm quickly running out of room. I may have some plants to offer after I finalize my outdoor garden layout if anyone in driving distance is interested.
Found a good deal on some oak lumber and built some more raised beds:

DSC_0002.jpg

These are the deepest ones I have. Tallest one is about 18" tall. I think I'll put the overwintered plants in here. They are getting huge.

DSC_0005.jpg

Cumari ou Passarinho is doing good. Has quite a few green pods and starting to get ripe pods. They are small and very hot with a strong chinense flavor.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Overwintered pubescens are doing nicely. Nearly 6 feet tall and starting to set some pods.

DSC_0017.jpg

Zander's orange manzano seedling is still in a 3.5 inch square pot and already trying to bud.

DSC_0019.jpg

Here's a bunch of mostly Bhut Jolokia seedlings. They need to be potted up.

DSC_0007.jpg

The deep water culture setup is still going strong. The biggest yellow scorp has an open bloom.

DSC_0004.jpg

My favorite bhut from 2010 has a nice pod. It seems to be just starting to turn color.

DSC_0003.jpg

I haven't had much success with container growing but not ready to give up just yet. Found some nice #15 pots to try.

DSC_0014.jpg

Here is one with a 5 gallon bucket inside for scale.

DSC_0015.jpg

Ready for the snow to melt and play outside in the dirt.

DSC_0001.jpg

A few more pics at Greenhouse Feb 5 2011

Wow looking amazing as always those things are huge. I cant believe how many peppers are growing on them. Sure makes me want to jump ahead a few months.

Very nice. I can't wait to see that cut back thai at the end of this season.

What are the dimensions of your greenhouse? I know you said you are running out of room but I think it looks like the perfect size. Large enough to have a couple overwinters plus the new babies, but not a huge obtrusive structure. Plus, it looks low enough for easy snow removal.

Very nice. I can't wait to see that cut back thai at the end of this season.

What are the dimensions of your greenhouse? I know you said you are running out of room but I think it looks like the perfect size. Large enough to have a couple overwinters plus the new babies, but not a huge obtrusive structure. Plus, it looks low enough for easy snow removal.

GH is 12X24 and probably between 7 and 8 feet tall in the middle. The snow pretty much slides off the plastic side without too much help from me. The metal north side not so much as the corrugations are running horizontally and hold on to the snow and ice.

IMG_1025.jpg

It is a really nice size but I am always wanting more, faster, louder, hotter, bigger, etc. If peppers were the only thing I wanted to grow it would be perfect. I had really nice tomato transplants last year but don't have the room for such big plants now. This pic was taken shortly after transplant. I used half gallon paper milk jugs for the final pot size and that worked great for tomatoes.
I don't really have room for anything bigger than 3.5" pots for toms this year.

DSC_0046.jpg

Back