• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Too early for Jalepenos and Habeneros?

HI everyone,

I am new to growing peppers, I was wondering if anyone had any insight into whether it is too early in the year here to start growing peppers? I look forward to all the sage advise. :)

Gane said:
HI everyone,

I am new to growing peppers, I was wondering if anyone had any insight into whether it is too early in the year here to start growing peppers? I look forward to all the sage advise. :)
Where do you live? I think jalapenos and habeneros usually take around 90-120 days. The hotter the pepper the longer it takes. I live in Minnesota and planted Carolina reapers indoors in March, put them outside in June, and didn't get to harvest until October. That's like 200 some days.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I am in Phoenix, so it might be warm enough here now to start them outside. It has been in the 70s most of this week and expected to be the same next week. I appreciate the input.

Gane said:
Thanks, I am in Phoenix, so it might be warm enough here now to start them outside. It has been in the 70s most of this week and expected to be the same next week. I appreciate the input.
No problem. Yeah, I think that's plenty warm enough. Especially if they're getting a lot of sun... That would be awesome to be eating fresh peppers by May. I was kind of thinking about moving to Arizona some day.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Awesome! I am going to plant them tomorrow. New peppers for me. I will keep you posted as to their progress.

The sooner you start your seeds, the better. C.chinense, C.baccatum etc. are much slower to grow in the beginning, than the various Annuum species like jalapeno, cayenne.

Back