• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Too early to plant?

Hi Guys,

Its my first year at growing peppers and first time ever growing anything from seed. I am itching (excuse the pun) to get going and dont want a late start to the year so the fruit has chance to ripen.

The weather is still pretty cold in the UK, but I am going to be using a heated prop inside. I tried setting a few Cayennes going last week and have some decent shoots with 2 leaves but this was more experimental rather than keeping the plants for summer.

Is it too early to start(about 8-9 hours daylight at the minute) and then putting them under a small CFL in my kitchen for another 6 hours a day.

Also, can seeds be over watered before they sprout? I have three sprouts after a week and planted 10 seeds.

Thanks in advance

You would want to sow those plant right now with very late-late maturities. Next month would be a good time for medium maturities and then the following month for those with earth maturities.

They're not outside yet are they? If the seedlings are getting Sunlight from outside inside they probably won't have enough light. I'd put a light on them for at least 12 hrs a day.

I am doing Cayenne, Scotch Bonnet and Habenero's.

I think the harvest times for the S.B and Habs are about 100 days and the Cayenne is 70 days. Whats a late and early maturity in terms of harvesting times?

I am doing Cayenne, Scotch Bonnet and Habenero's.

I think the harvest times for the S.B and Habs are about 100 days and the Cayenne is 70 days. Whats a late and early maturity in terms of harvesting times?

Cross Country <<< This site has a lot of pepper varieties available, and if you find yours it will tell whether they are late or very-late season producers. According to their site, SB's depend upon whether they are red or yellow, and other habs also have a late to very-late range depending upon variety. Cayennes tend to be mid-season.

You can get them started in something as simple as a milk jug. I've already started some of my seeds in a seedling tray $6 and an aquarium light $15 on top. They're already growing.

Well I have planted some Habenero seeds and also some S.Bonnets last night so fingers crossed I will get some plants.

This is my setup as the missus wont let me put large strip lights in or build a specific box. Temps holding about 70-76 deg F The light isnt very powerful but the seedlings seem to like it.

Can seeds be under or over watered before germination?

DSC02924.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

DSC02926.jpg

You want them moist but not waterlogged before germination. Once germinated, again moist but put a light breeze on them to prevent damping off. Some people use a fan from a computer.

Back