• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Too Hot/Humid yet Too Cold Issues

Pr0digal_son said:

Good idea keeping it small.  I have started seeds on a window sill,and also grew out 25 plants that I started under a 2 bulb t-8 light that cost me $10.  After your first season you will triple or quadruple your plant total the following year. You won't have any control over it!!  And 2 superhot chinense will give you more than enough pods than you need.

Good luck and have fun!

Oh yeah I am sure 2 super hots will do it for me this coming year. I know not everyone enjoys them (I dont either, I like the spice but IBS will not allow me to eat the fruit), so I will be dehydrating and making powders for my dry rubs. I LOVE a good death dust. And I will be making Hot sauces as well. But for the most part, I really enjoy a nice pleasant burn from the milder varieties. I love the bad burn, but I LOVE a great all around burn from a nice medium pepper.

As far as starting small, yeah I pretty much have to. It is hard for me to get around without help some days and my wife works a lot. I can't try to hard. I ran a weed eater last week for 15 minutes and it cost me 3 days in bed. =(  I'm just wanting to have a little funa nd maybe get to enjoy a little end result and if people like it I can have pleasure in telling them I made it. And My wife wants me to try to do lettuce and spinich via Hyroponics. I got word today form a seed trader I got some herbs coming to!! Woot!

I'm not sure about the cost or the ability, but would using Damp Rid or something like that help work on keeping some of the moisture down? It might not be cost efficient, but just thinking of other options for you.

I actually have been experimenting with that in my old coal room in the basement. I have setup 2 of the ice cream pail size buckets down there and they seems to make things much better. Since the coal room is where I would be growing at, this is looking to be a good bet, that and a good fan to move air.

Ok OP, here are my thoughts, having also been dirt poor the first half of my life and lived in CT where the winters are less than Ideal. On a budget, use CFL to generate the right kind of light from your lamps. Use Incandescent to generate heat. Enough of them will do the trick. Lastly, skip the expensive dehumidifier and buy 1 or 2 good fans to move the heat and moisture away. I think this is the best bet and will give you fair odds at over wintering your plants.

I am not as smart as all these nerds but I just like your name. DjPorkchop. :rofl: :rofl: 

Good luck!

*just joking fellas :D

My hubbie just brought up another option but as before I'm not sure on the cost but there is a paint you can place on the basement walls that will suppress the amount of moisture that will seep in. Otherwise as long as you have good air circulation you should be able to keep the moisture at bey.

Back