• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Too Late to Start Super Hots?

I have a question that will likely show my lack of pepper knowledge but hey, this is how I'll get pepper-smart so I apologize if this is a silly question.

I just received a wonderful assortment of super hot seeds from a very generous member here (thanks again HotandHeavy) however being in zone 5a I fear that I'm way too late to start them this year.  Would you guys recommend I wait until next season or start them now and bring them in before frost in October and keep them going inside until next season.  Gut feeling is telling me to be patient and wait until next season, but I really really want to grow these bad boys right now!  Any advice would be appreciated!

if you can finish them off inside with a big south facing window or a HID light you can start now. otherwise yeah you missed the boat.

IMO super hots HAVE to be over wintered and helped along for several years.  I am into my second year on my Reapers and they are just now on their 2nd batch of peppers which are actually showing to be true reapers vs. the first peppers which, while still crazy hot, did not show much like a reaper.  The 2nd round of peppers are actually showing more true Reaper traits and I expect that to get better as the plants mature a bit more.

IMO super hots HAVE to be over wintered and helped along for several years.  I am into my second year on my Reapers and they are just now on their 2nd batch of peppers which are actually showing to be true reapers vs. the first peppers which, while still crazy hot, did not show much like a reaper.  The 2nd round of peppers are actually showing more true Reaper traits and I expect that to get better as the plants mature a bit more.
To be fair, Reapers are notoriously inconsistent with their heat levels. The true test would be to grow some Scorpions. I've not heard of any real heat discrepancy there. LOL

Not too late, if you got room inside you can winterize them, as they grow you can thin them out as to the strong ones you can keep :)
Il be starting some seeds in the next couple of days to replace ones that didnt make it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I think I may start a few of each and over winter them and then keep the remaining seeds for next season.

Eww dont get scorpions. Perfumy flavor tastes like someone spritzed glade in your mouth.. hot for sure, but I would rather eat vegetables

Im in zone 5 myself. Late for this season for sure, but if you want to over winter its NEVER too early for next season

LordHill said:
Eww dont get scorpions. Perfumy flavor tastes like someone spritzed glade in your mouth.. hot for sure, but I would rather eat vegetables

Im in zone 5 myself. Late for this season for sure, but if you want to over winter its NEVER too early for next season
Taste is relative, but heat is not. For me, these bruisers are the gold standard for heat and consistency, thereof...

solid7 said:
Taste is relative, but heat is not. For me, these bruisers are the gold standard for heat and consistency, thereof...
No doubt they are hot, but you can easily get hot and good taste. Have a Brown Moruga

Bear in mind that if you sow your plants now and plan to let them grow all winter, they will be monsters by this time next year when it is time to plant out. You're going to need a lot of room and a lot of light to successfully overwinter them, unless you plan to hack down in size. Also be prepared to battle fungus gnats and aphids for several months. Not worth the hassle in my opinion, but that's just me.

Edit: damn autocorrect...

Big Kahuna said:
Bear in mind that if you sow your plants now and plan to let them grow all winter, they will be monsters by this time next year when it is time to plant out. You're going to need a lot of room and a lot of light to successfully overwinter them, unless you plan to hack down in size. Also be prepared to battle fungus gnats and aphids for several months. Not worth the hassle in my opinion, but that's just me.

Edit: damn autocorrect...
Yup. Had the aphid drama last winter and my Jigsaw eventually died in March this year. It made it through the winter though, which is nothing to be laughed at, as it was left on a unmanned north facing windowsill for over a solid month at one point.

Seems to me that over the winter period, the plants only need to be watered about every 2-weeks, and they don't even need to be drenched, just a little dribble of room temperature tap water. Temperature in the 50s, a little daylight, little ventilation. No idea about humidity. My soil mix is (roughly) 50% compost, 25% Perlite, 25% vermiculite, with a little fish-blood & bone thrown in.

Back