• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Too Many Peppers, Too Little Space (what should I grow?)

Thanks to the generosity of pepperlover.com (Judy, you’re the greatest!), a $15.00 minimum purchase for the Chili Pepper Institute, and a hard cap on the amount of peppers I am able to support next season; I have been left with a dreadfully difficult choice. Which of the following peppers should I grow and why?

a)     7 Pot Jonah
b)     Trinidad Douglah
c)     Trinidad Maruga Scorpion or
d)     True Cumari

I am leaning towards the 7 Pot Jonah or the Trinidad Douglah based solely on reviews I’ve read here on THP. However, I really don’t want to be stuck kicking myself later on in the season. For me, the right pepper should have great flavor, high production, balanced heat, and a resilient nature (in that order).

Damn, I wish I could just grow them all!

I don't really care for a bunch of smaller peppers so i'd go with abc.

i'd go for douglah then flip a coin for the other one, or buy them all(only 7-8$ on judys site!) and find space somewhere!?

If only one.... then I would have to go with the 7 pot Douglah...  Mostly becuase it is so beautiful... especially just before it is totally ripe when it is gnarly and purple with neon green highlights.  It doesnt hurt that it is also a pretty heavy producer and an easy grow.

Trinidad peppers are easy to grow, not sure about the Cumari. Flavor wise the Jonah should be really good, based on many reviews.

I couldn't pick just 1 pepper to grow.
You just planning on 1? Or a bunch and you need to pick just 1 more to fill your space.

In the latter, it would all depend on what else you have planned to grow, how much variety you want.
For heat---Douglah, for prolific peppers ---Cumari.

OKGrowin said:
i'd go for douglah then flip a coin for the other one, or buy them all(only 7-8$ on judys site!) and find space somewhere!?

I should specify that I already have all of these seeds. They were the extras that were thrown in with my actual order. Unfortunately, I will be pushing it with the amount of peppers I have planned. Anymore and several will suffer.

Gotrox said:
I couldn't pick just 1 pepper to grow.
You just planning on 1? Or a bunch and you need to pick just 1 more to fill your space.

In the latter, it would all depend on what else you have planned to grow, how much variety you want.
For heat---Douglah, for prolific peppers ---Cumari.

No, the plan is to grow a total of 20 next season. Well, technically 2 will be overwintered (or whatever you want to call what we do here in FL). One of my Jimmy Nardellos had to get the boot in order for whatever pepper I pick to have a shot. So I whatever pepper I choose should also make me not miss that extra Nardello.

I would pick the 7 pot Jonah or the Moruga.  THe Douglah is an acquired taste. none of my friends care for the taste of the Douglah but I think its ok, not my favorite though. 

All else fails "flip" that coin!  lol

Jonah is currently my fav pepper!

I havent tried the others yet but I just put some Douglah to soak, and have some scorpions that are still babys..

IMO jonah is a very good all round pepper.

Have grown the 7 Pot Jonah this year. Great taste, but for me, the heat level is too extreme to eat on its own.
I mostly mix it with Jalapeno's about 5 J's to 1 7PJ in sauces, flakes and powder.

If you can handle the heat, then its a good producing, great tasting pepper.

Thirdegree said:
Have grown the 7 Pot Jonah this year. Great taste, but for me, the heat level is too extreme to eat on its own.
I mostly mix it with Jalapeno's about 5 J's to 1 7PJ in sauces, flakes and powder.

If you can handle the heat, then its a good producing, great tasting pepper.

Yep, the Jonah has some extreme heat for sure.  I guess the question he needs to ask himself is do you enjoy eating milder pods or hotter ones fresh?  The Cumari would be hard to beat eating fresh pods for its flavor.  Luckily I have enough room to grow as many chili's as my heart desires.  My only constraint is what do I do with them all.  At current count I have 75 plants which is extreme, hopefully I can find an outlet to sell some and make some of my money back.  lol

Back