• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

too much florescent light?

Hi i started some chilies indoors under cfl lights this year i used 4 27watt cfls 6500k and my seedlings turned out with some real skinny thin leafs. i didnt have this problem last year but only used two bulbs. Any advice would be welcomed....

Hi i started some chilies indoors under cfl lights this year i used 4 27watt cfls 6500k and my seedlings turned out with some real skinny thin leafs. i didnt have this problem last year but only used two bulbs. Any advice would be welcomed....
ohh if anyone could help me out on posting a pic i will thanx....

WElcome to THP :)

you need to open a photo bucket or imageshack account or any other image storing site.

need to upload the picture there and get its url for the picture and post it using the image insert icon and
you will be post your pictures here.
sri

WElcome to THP :)

you need to open a photo bucket or imageshack account or any other image storing site.

need to upload the picture there and get its url for the picture and post it using the image insert icon and
you will be post your pictures here.
sri
Thanx will do :)

chili2-1.jpg

chili.jpg

chili2-1.jpg

Here ya go...

Hey xxzombiepepperxx,
Welcome to the forum.

I'm no expert but, from the pics you posted, your plants don't look how I expected them to if they had light problems.
The yellowing of the leaves is a sign that something else might be wrong.
Are you sure they had good soil?

Lets wait and see what more experienced users say about this.

Bleash

Ok after quite a bit of research ive done on this i think i have figured it out...I beleive i had way too much concentraiton of blue white spectrum light which inturn stunted growth on my poor seedlings. so on the starts i have going now i switched it up by including 2700k red light and 6500k blue combo.....and my bhuts seem too be responding well.

I use 8 CFLs in an array, 4x27watt, 6500K and 4x27watt, 5000k, checkerboarded together. Mine are lush and green. But I use hydro fert to water them with...

peppers%20-%20c%20-%202011-05-24%2019.06.03.jpg

I have never had a problem with CFL's and young peppers. I would have guessed soil but glad you figured it out! Cheers
i thought about the soil thing and am in denial on that but you never know...i recently switched soils i started with black gold seed starting soil then after the cotyledon fell put em into mg organic choice with those ones but have switched to fox farms on my new starts so i hope i figured it out dude time will tell thanks for the advice...

I use 8 CFLs in an array, 4x27watt, 6500K and 4x27watt, 5000k, checkerboarded together. Mine are lush and green. But I use hydro fert to water them with...
i would love someday to try hydro someday man i cant wait till im confident enough...i have alot of learning to do, and am enjoying the ride bro thanks for post :)

Get some of the Peters/Schultz/Miracle-Gro or Walmart brand water soluble fertilzer(the stuff in a little box or tub, usually turns blue in water). The one for vegitables if possible otherwise use the one for flowering plants, DO NOT USE THE LAWN AND GRASS FORMULA.
  • Mix 1 gallon.
  • Dilute the 1 gallon mix into 10 gallons.
  • Add 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon. (available in the Pharmacy)
Use for each watering in soil or pots.

Your plants will be beautiful in no time.

ohh your your just using the hydro ferts ok i get it now your still growing in soil...thats cool do you know if osmocote 14-14-14 slow release fert is any good for chili?? my buddy turned me on to some but im kinda scared to use it...i will definitly consider your formula bro thanks..

+1 on the combination of light...and I dont' think there is such a thing as too much...18 42 watt CFLs in a 16 sq ft area produces about 3K lumens/sq ft...I 9 6500Ks and 9 2700Ks...

the blue light (6500K) will increase your nodal length as compared to a comgination of blue and red...and red alone will give you even stockier plants...it depends on the end product you are seeking as to what light combinations you use...

I have a couple different types that look exactly like yours. Same leaf issues anyway. They have been outdoors their whole lives, and the problems started after a batch of nutes was poured on them. Most of the plants exploded in growth after that feeding, but about 4-5 stunted and ended up looking just like yours do. I would guess it's a soil/nute mix issue and your plants cooked.

I've never seen lighting do that to plants, and there is no way that so few fluorescents are causing that. My old apartment setup was 8 T5 bulbs as side lighting and a 400w Mh and I never saw it do anything like that to them.

Back