• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Too much nitrogen!?!

I think I have been giving my TS Butch T's too much nitrogen. I can not get any buds to flower they just turn brown and fall off!! How can I correct the nitrogen level?

Thanks!

it's getting that time of year DB...most of mine are doing the same thing now that the heat has hit...keepem' growing and they will produce later in the season for you...

how much food are you giving them?.....it may not be the N

Symptoms of too much nitrogen are similar to overwatering symptoms - yellowing leaves. If you foliage is lush and green, and it's only the buds and flowers that are at issue, then I agree, it's most likely the heat. If you have anything else going on, it will be helpful to post pics and elaborate a bit.

I will post some pics this afternoon. The plants are big and green, no yellowing. I read that with to much nitrogen that the plants will focus more on leaf production rather than fruit. Thats why it drops the buds.

@ AJ-I use Milorganite, I sprinkle about 1 tablespoon around the plant and water it in. I have done this 2 times this season.

I gave them nitrogen and water before I left and have kept the plants in mostly shade for a week while I was out of town for a week. They were getting about 2 hours of sun per day. When I left there were a lot of buds, now 99% have fallen off, including 1 bud that looked as if it was about to flower.

Same thing going on here, along with my tomatoes. Day temps are in the high 90's and low 100's, night temps are in the mid 70's. Plants are plenty healthy, foliar spray about every 2 weeks with fish and seaweed emulsion, with the occasional Epsom salt spray......I'm going with it's too damn hot!

I'd agree with the others -- My bhuts are doing the same thing just growing nicely with no buds (the start to form but wind up drying up and falling off before getting close to blooming) and have been doing this all year so far since we have very high temps most of the summer -- this week we got a 4 day break in the heat as a storm moved through and currently there are 50+ flowers forming that have not dropped yet but Temps are rising again so who knows -- but it has shown me that it is most likely the heat since everything else is remaining the same but with the 4 days of high 80s to low 90s they have lasted vs. the 100+ temps where they never even developed much before disappearing.

Be patient and keep the plant healthy and when the temps get right your plants will be ready and you'll wind up with lots of pods.

Agreed, anything over 90 degrees during the day or high night temps will make most plants' flowers drop. There are a few of mine that just kept setting through the heat but most of them dropped what they had and didn't put out anymore flowers until the heat dropped. My BrainStrains have been flowering and dropping them for over a month. I just had my first pods finally set. These superhots are finicky....they'll set when they're ready. Be patient.

You could use the search function, this is not a unique problem.......

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

yes. that is all good advice just let it grow itself as long as the plant is healthy and your not over fert. and so forth and so forth. my bhuts did the same so I listened to the list stopped messin with my plant kept it watered... the plant got a little bigger now ive got 15+ pods. Its all good. #11 was my prob. My moruga is doing the same thing im just gonna wait it out :stop: and pray :pray: should= :mouthonfire:

Back