• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Top half is light yellow

Hi guys. I have about 2 plants that shows some deficiency or something. The top half is light yellow. I have fed then high N without success. I now feed them organic compost without succes. I have about 40 plants and this 2 have a problem. Same soil as the others. The plants is bushy looking about a foot tall. I don't see a place I can upload pics. Thanks

Welcome to THP, and check the pot size. Don't feed them too much, as they will not like it. For pictures, use Imgur and link to here.

Thanks for welcoming me. I changed my profile pic to the problem plant. I stay in a remote place and doesn't want to travel 200 kilometres for the wrong medicine. I watched videos and think it might be magnesium deficiency, but I want to check if it's correct. My second season growing.

yes, besides the miserable color, they are doing well. i rather get rid of problem plants. i rather take a short pain than a long misery. 

ajdrew said:
Welcome to THP.
By any chance are they taller than the other plants?
Hi ajdrew. They are the same size and growing. I recently(2 weeks) transplant them into bigger pots. All plants are in the same soil. 50% potting soil, 25% woodshavings and 25% horse manure (1 year old)

Martino said:
Hi ajdrew. They are the same size and growing. I recently(2 weeks) transplant them into bigger pots. All plants are in the same soil. 50% potting soil, 25% woodshavings and 25% horse manure (1 year old)
It looks a bit too short for its leaf count. Try watering it a bit less if it's been recently transplanted because the roots might be too small. And give it some calcium/mangesium mix. And next time you repot, don't use the wood shavings. The plant doesn't need them and they get in the way of roots.

cruzzfish said:
It looks a bit too short for its leaf count. Try watering it a bit less if it's been recently transplanted because the roots might be too small. And give it some calcium/mangesium mix. And next time you repot, don't use the wood shavings. The plant doesn't need them and they get in the way of roots.
Thanks. I will try that. I will let you know what is happening.

Only 2 out of 40? what has changed? how long ago? and how do these 2 differ in location? Pics would be a huge aid.

What size pots are they in? I think they have way more nutrients than they can readily use. you are fortunate they are green and not showing other signs. however, by adding high N, that could change. If the pot sizes are too small, I would flush the soil and re pot to a larger container. you may also need to amend your media with some perilite, sand etc for better aeration and composition. The texture of the leaves lead me to believe they are fertilized heavily.

Was thinking maybe they sprung up and were closer to a serious light than the others.  Next thought is look at the bottom of the leaves and see if you have little white or off white dots.  Even if it is just dna, there has to be something different about those two from the others.

What ever it is, I suggest separating them from your healthy plants just in case.

Thanks alot guys. i am going to transplant her into new soil as a last resort. 100% potting soil. realy appreciate your time.

Seems like you are in good hands, but I wanted to throw a few things in the mix as possibilities.

1) Pull the roots/soil out of the pot and make sure the bottom roots aren't suffocating/rotting. Check that they are a healthy whitish color. If not, then the soil may not be drying enough on the bottom half. I get this with plastic pots often.

2) Have you tried spraying with water/epson salt? Sometimes the magnesium helps. 

3) If there is no root rot or drying problems, I would flush the soil with clear water, let it dry over the next few days, then start over again with fertilizer.

But since you answered ajdrew's question about the growth and you stated they are still growing, chances are the roots are fine. But it's good to check.

Oh, and MarianneW's question may help you out too. If your ph is off, it could render a plant that looks like that.

MarianneW said:
Do you have heavily alkiline water? And it has been hot lately?
Yes it is extremely hot. About 40 degrees Celsius everyday. I don't know about the water but I have a suspect it can be a ph problem.
mrgrowguy said:
Seems like you are in good hands, but I wanted to throw a few things in the mix as possibilities.

1) Pull the roots/soil out of the pot and make sure the bottom roots aren't suffocating/rotting. Check that they are a healthy whitish color. If not, then the soil may not be drying enough on the bottom half. I get this with plastic pots often.

2) Have you tried spraying with water/epson salt? Sometimes the magnesium helps. 

3) If there is no root rot or drying problems, I would flush the soil with clear water, let it dry over the next few days, then start over again with fertilizer.

But since you answered ajdrew's question about the growth and you stated they are still growing, chances are the roots are fine. But it's good to check.

Oh, and MarianneW's question may help you out too. If your ph is off, it could render a plant that looks like that.
Yes the ph might be the culprit. I think it got to do with the wood shavings I use. I did hydroponics way back and I remember shavings accumulate salts. Thanks

I changes the soil and gave them a light feeding , and they are bouncing back within a few days!!
when i changed the soil, i saw that the roots did not took to the new soil. I think it was acidic soil or something.

Thanks for all your help.

1928760_113634792345363_6579131477362468163_n.jpg

535154_113634859012023_6789726352123933300_n.jpg

Back