• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Tortilla Soup

Now this is a family recipe:

1 Chicken (Whole)
2 Lbs Tomatoes
1 Sweet Pepper (Large)
1 Lb Miltomate (Tomatillo)
1 Lb Onion
1 Can (16 Oz) Garbanzos
1/2 Lb Chiles (I use Chiltepe, Cobanero and Jalapeño)
1 Guaque Chile (Dried) (AKA Guajillo)
2 Chipotle Chiles
6 cloves of garlic
4 Bay leaves
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tsp Thyme
1 Cup Fresh Cilantro
1/4 Cup fresh lime juice
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1 Tbsp whole peppercorns
Fried tortilla strips (or thick nachos)
Avocado
Oaxaca cheese or Mozzarella
Cream

Procedure:

1. Boil chicken in enough water to cover it by 1 inch, or more and add salt to taste. You can add some veggies if you would like to add more flavor to the broth.
2. In a pot, on high cook the tomatoes, onions, sweet pepper and tomatillos without water or oil until some of the skin has turned black.
3. Add 1/4 Cup of water or broth to the tomatoes and combine with the garlic, cilantro, chiles, dried spices, lime juice and salt.
4. Cook on medium heat until everything is cooked through.
5. Blend the tomato/tomatillo mixture
6. Remove chicken from broth and shred the cooked meat, discarding the bones.
7. Add the blended mixture to the broth and adjust salt/pepper to taste
8. Add garbanzos and chicken to the soup

To serve:

Put some shredded cheese, fried tortilla and diced avocado at the bottom of a soup bowl (the bigger the better) and pour the soup over them. Drizzle a little cream over the top and sprinkle with some fresh cilantro. Serve with a wedge of lime on the side.

Let me tell you... this is the second best way to nurse a hangover. First being a big ceviche and a michelada (recipe to follow)

This ones a keeper Andres wil keep for next year when i have grown some Cobanero chilis..what with this recipe and your talk on the taste of the cabanero im hooked :)

Great sounding recipe Andres...I assume you can substitute peppers if you don't have any of what you call out...

Yeah... you can substitute anything you like. In fact you might make it even better. Oh, by the way if you have a chance to buy Sazon Goya, use one or two packets on this. It's awesome!

In a word: wow.

My local produce selection is not great and I had to use some substitutions, but I put this together tonight and it is fantastic - despite it being 109 degrees outside.

I was able to find some chipotle canned, but for the rest of the peppers I subbed with habanero, serrano and a bell. I couldn't find the Oaxaca cheese and I would love to know where other people find this. I subbed it with some soft white cheese that was labeled only 'habanero' - no base cheese was listed.

Anyway, thank you OP for the wonderful recipe. I can't wait until winter when I can add it to my weekly menu.

I love tortilla soup! We used serranos, and lots of 'em for our recipe. What is a Cobanero? This sounds like an amazingly good recipe. Muchas gracias Andres! :woohoo:

Back