• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Total noob Glog

Welcome to my rather lame Glog!!

minechile.png

My list of currently growing

Basket of Fire ornamental
Mystery Plants x5
Datil
Lemon Drop

On order from Cross Country Nursery(couldn't resist the 40% off sale...hehe)
7 Pot Yellow
Berbere
2x Fatalii
Fish
White Habanero
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno Hybrid
2x Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Thai Giant
Thai Yellow
Tobago Seasoning.

Just noticed that most of what I ordered is yellow...lol,

This was my first year trying to grow anything. These were started indoors around early Feb in jiffy pellets with a heat mat, then transferred to plastic cups under a normal fluorescent shop light. The plants grew a bit leggy(some more than others) and some of them outgrew their shelf space two months before the last frost(Mid May in zone 5b). They were put outside in May in bigger pots, hardened off on the porch in the shade, and given their first dose(or overdose) of fertilizer.

This is the Basket of Fire with loads of flowers on a tiny plant. The fruits that ripened indoors were bitter and not all that hot, the ones ripened outdoors were edible with more heat, but nothing really that special

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00544.jpg

This is a Datil plant from eBay(I know I know). I broke the main stem off at the top by dropping something on it and it recovered very quickly

DSC00554.jpg

This is the Lemon Drop from the same eBay seller

DSC00556.jpg

And now onto the Mystery Plants!!!

These mixed seeds were recieved via SASBE from ajijoe. I have no idea what any of them are

This is the plant that I've posted before that had burned leaves from too much fertilizer. I removed most of the spotted/burnt leaves, started watering all of the plants less often, and I'm not going to give it any more fert. It seems to have perked up a bit athough still not in the greatest health and it has even gotten some flower buds.

DSC00545.jpg

This one has black pods/ white and purple flowers. This one has had zero problems growing

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

This one was from a seed still attached to a piece of pod in the bag. That piece of pod was the hottest thing I've ever eaten lol. I saw SLUG TRAILS on this plant recently. Took the salt out one night and got about twenty of them.

DSC00549.jpg

Mystery plant #4 has been leaning to the side, although it has the thickest stem out of all of them. Those are dirt spots on the leaves
DSC00551.jpg

And the last one, a sad purple leafed plant that has never done very well. It got repotted this morning, but I don't know how much that will help it. http://thehotpepper....her-sick-plant/

One of the plants has some distorted looking new growth, but I've never seen an aphid. Can't remember which one it was.

I've got a whole bunch of 5gal root pouches coming tomorrow for the whole lot of them, it seems like they all could use a bit more space..

I purchased plants from CCN as well.
I gave them a few days in their original containers in the shade to help adjust to the Colorado sun.
I then transplanted them into 5 gallon lowes buckets and my homemade soil mixture that i've used in the past. After about 2-1/2-3 weeks only 1/2 of them took to the new soil.
The others i repotted into Same pots with more holes and Promix.
They all lost their original growth over the months time.
Tripped me out a little.... Now, they're all showing new growth and looking great.
In my case i think it was real hard for the plants to adjust to altitude and less atmosphere then NJ. Sun is quite intense here in CO.
I think if you potted them up in promix and set them in the shade like Romy6 said. They will do well.
Hope my limited experience with CCN plants helps.
Good luck with your grow..

The four CCN plants I put in the 5gal root pouches looked very wilted when I checked them earlier, scared the heck out of me, but all they needed was water. I guess the water drains pretty fast in those things, cause they were pretty moist when I mixed up the soil yesterday. The spot they're in now is mostly shade and filtered light, and they're looking healthy there, so I'm gonna keep them there until this week of 95 degree weather is up, and then start putting them out in the sun

The dog is good with the plants now, but I put a cheapo garden fence thing around them now for good measure. Actually, the fence may not keep him out because he know how to do agility jumps, but I don't think he'll jump it. Shredded mystery four is starting to root :dance: . I hope it gets big enough to fruit again before the end of the season. It's seeds came from a small round dried pod in the mystery pack that was loaded with seeds, thought it was a tepin or something similar, but the pods on the plant looked different. No pics of the pods before they got eaten though.
The lemon drop had a very yellow leaf fall off from the bottom, for now I'm gonna say that it's just the heat getting to it, but I think I might give it some fert if it continues to yellow after this week.

The purple leaf mystery plant looks pretty now, with it's leaves stripped and new ones coming in, almost like a bonsai

With all the 95 degree heat, Mystery #1 and #3 lost a bunch of flowers. About five pods set between the two of them. Datil finally has buds, and Lemon Drop has dropped every one of its flowers. Cooler week coming up, hope to get some pods set!

Mystery #2 with its new leaves

DSC00589.jpg

Basket of Fire peppers
It has more pods than it looks like in the pic

DSC00590.jpg

The second Basket of Fire, I kind of like how it branches

DSC00591.jpg

Closer pic of the cool branches

DSC00592.jpg

I was checking my CCN plants today, in the rain, and I saw a leaf sitting in the pot of one of the scotch bonnets. I picked it up and saw my first aphids all over that leaf. After checking every single one of the CCN plants, 8/12 had some aphids. Most of them had like three aphids, but some had multiple leaves with groups of them.

The ones without aphids
Yellow 7 Pot
Berbere
Fatalii #1
Fish

The ones with aphids
Yellow Scotch Bonnets x2(these were the worst infestations)
Fatalii #2
Thai Giant
Thai Yellow
Tobago Seasoning
Mucho Nacho Hybrid
White Habanero

What I did: I used http://www.amazon.co...00BWY6K2]Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap%5B/url%5D and sprayed every single aphid I could see, and then I just did every single leaf top and bottom. I was planning on starting to move these out with the rest of the plants tomorrow, I separated the plants into "aphid" and "no aphid" sections on the porch.

Does anyone think its safe to go ahead and start moving these around? Or should I wait a while to make sure all of the aphids are dead? I really wanted to get them out tomorrow because it's the first break from the 95 degree weather.

Jessica,
The safe soap will work but is only temporary.......if there are ants around they will harbor whats left. You probably wil need to repeat the process more then once. Keep checking the undersides of the leaves, water the soil before using any sprays and blast the plants first with the hose. That will save you on the cost of the chemicals...

Greg

Yesterday, I sprayed them again in the morning, hand picked the rest of them around noon, hosed them, and moved the plants to a temp spot in full sun. I was going to move them into the greenhouse thing, but there was a giant pissed off black wasp in there that couldn't find its way out for four hours. By 7 there were no aphids I could see. This morning, no aphids and some green lacewing eggs on the plants. Also, a spider decided to make a web across all twelve of the pots that will be destroyed when I move the pots

Hi Jessica

The four CCN plants I put in the 5gal root pouches looked very wilted when I checked them earlier, scared the heck out of me, but all they needed was water. I guess the water drains pretty fast in those things, cause they were pretty moist when I mixed up the soil yesterday. The spot they're in now is mostly shade and filtered light, and they're looking healthy there, so I'm gonna keep them there until this week of 95 degree weather is up, and then start putting them out in the sun

The dog is good with the plants now, but I put a cheapo garden fence thing around them now for good measure. Actually, the fence may not keep him out because he know how to do agility jumps, but I don't think he'll jump it. Shredded mystery four is starting to root :dance: . I hope it gets big enough to fruit again before the end of the season. It's seeds came from a small round dried pod in the mystery pack that was loaded with seeds, thought it was a tepin or something similar, but the pods on the plant looked different. No pics of the pods before they got eaten though.

Could be a Cascabel.... did it rattle when you shook it?
The lemon drop had a very yellow leaf fall off from the bottom, for now I'm gonna say that it's just the heat getting to it, but I think I might give it some fert if it continues to yellow after this week.

The purple leaf mystery plant looks pretty now, with it's leaves stripped and new ones coming in, almost like a bonsai

Good luck with your season

Some pod pics

Mystery #1 (Is this a Jalapeno?)

DSC00608.jpg

Mystery #3

DSC00611.jpg

I posted these in ID as well, hopefully the mysteries can be solved...lol

I think mystery #1 can be officially called a jalapeno.

The last time I was at Home Depot, I tried to find some of those cheap bamboo stakes for support if I needed them, and they didn't have any. Gonna try Lowe's sometime

I think Mystery #4 is done for, but Mystery #2 is branching out nicely.

DSC00617.jpg

Mystery #3 pics

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

The last pic is supposed to be a size reference, but it ended up looking waaay bigger than it is

Welcome to my rather lame Glog!!

minechile.png

My list of currently growing

Basket of Fire ornamental
Mystery Plants x5
Datil
Lemon Drop

On order from Cross Country Nursery(couldn't resist the 40% off sale...hehe)
7 Pot Yellow
Berbere
2x Fatalii
Fish
White Habanero
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno Hybrid
2x Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Thai Giant
Thai Yellow
Tobago Seasoning.

Just noticed that most of what I ordered is yellow...lol,

This was my first year trying to grow anything. These were started indoors around early Feb in jiffy pellets with a heat mat, then transferred to plastic cups under a normal fluorescent shop light. The plants grew a bit leggy(some more than others) and some of them outgrew their shelf space two months before the last frost(Mid May in zone 5b). They were put outside in May in bigger pots, hardened off on the porch in the shade, and given their first dose(or overdose) of fertilizer.

This is the Basket of Fire with loads of flowers on a tiny plant. The fruits that ripened indoors were bitter and not all that hot, the ones ripened outdoors were edible with more heat, but nothing really that special

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00544.jpg

This is a Datil plant from eBay(I know I know). I broke the main stem off at the top by dropping something on it and it recovered very quickly

DSC00554.jpg

This is the Lemon Drop from the same eBay seller

DSC00556.jpg

And now onto the Mystery Plants!!!

These mixed seeds were recieved via SASBE from ajijoe. I have no idea what any of them are

This is the plant that I've posted before that had burned leaves from too much fertilizer. I removed most of the spotted/burnt leaves, started watering all of the plants less often, and I'm not going to give it any more fert. It seems to have perked up a bit athough still not in the greatest health and it has even gotten some flower buds.

DSC00545.jpg

This one has black pods/ white and purple flowers. This one has had zero problems growing

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

This one was from a seed still attached to a piece of pod in the bag. That piece of pod was the hottest thing I've ever eaten lol. I saw SLUG TRAILS on this plant recently. Took the salt out one night and got about twenty of them.

DSC00549.jpg

Mystery plant #4 has been leaning to the side, although it has the thickest stem out of all of them. Those are dirt spots on the leaves
DSC00551.jpg

And the last one, a sad purple leafed plant that has never done very well. It got repotted this morning, but I don't know how much that will help it. http://thehotpepper....her-sick-plant/

One of the plants has some distorted looking new growth, but I've never seen an aphid. Can't remember which one it was.

I've got a whole bunch of 5gal root pouches coming tomorrow for the whole lot of them, it seems like they all could use a bit more space..

What type of pepper plant is the pic at the top? Is it by chance the thai Hot pepper plant?

The first plant in that post is a "Basket of Fire" ornamental pepper from seeds purchased at Hirt's Garden's(very poor reputation...I suggest not buying from there). They have kind of a neat cascading branch thing going on, and the pods are colorful, from light green to purple to orange to red. Supposedly 80,000 shu, they are okay cooked, might try dehydrating some into flakes. There are some more recent pictures of these plants on the third post of this page

Here's an update

Mystery 1/Jalapeno
DSC00632.jpg

Thai giant, the first of the CCN plants to have flowers open up (not that surprising since it had two pods on it when it came out of the box that I yanked off)
DSC00635.jpg

One of the Basket of Fire's, the other one is off recovering from being smashed by the greenhouse (which is now destroyed, it made it through the big storm fine, but a second storm ripped it apart. Power went out in both storms)
DSC00637.jpg

Top view
DSC00642.jpg

Datil, quite tall and bushy compared to the others
DSC00638.jpg

The lemon drop, it seems to have recovered from having most of it's roots torn off twice.
DSC00640.jpg

The first pod, some smaller ones coming in also
DSC00639.jpg

Mystery 3 being mysterious
DSC00645.jpg

The pods
DSC00644.jpg

This plant always has crinkley leaves
DSC00646.jpg

Plants look great. I had the same issue of crinkley leaves with the root pouches I think it is from overwatering, as all my new buds were turning brown rather then have a load of flowers I had one or two. Try setting up a make shift drip system with a water bottle on the plant to the point that your only watering every other day. I switch to a drip system, since every single one of my plant was either in 10 or 5 gallon root pouch now I only water for 10 mins (equivalent to 16 oz bottle) every other day except on extra hot days when I add 5 more mins and they seem to love it. Good luck through the rest of the season.

That hole in the pepper is weird. I had ear wigs dig into one of my paprikas (they do this every year with this one type of pepper), but the hole is smaller and they tend to live in it. This means poop and eggs on the inside, which means the pepper gets tossed. I have never seen a rectangular hole like the one in your picture on any of my plants.

I think it might of been this big brown grasshopper that lives in the area with the plants that I can't seem to be able to catch and kill. It has eaten some leaves and I suppose it was just sampling the pepper, and hopefully decided that it didn't like it. If there was an earwig anywhere near me it would have to be killed with fire :flamethrower:

Back