• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trading Hot Peppers at Farmer's Markets

This year I will have enough chili production that it will easily outstrip my own personal use and typical friends & family giveaways.  One of the things I've considered doing was taking my excess harvest to a local farmers market and trying to negotiate a trade value "here are my peppers, how much $___ worth of your veggies do you think is fair?".  From past browsing, I know that the selection of chili peppers at the farmer's markets around here seem to include only the most basic offerings like jalapenos, cayenne, serranos and habaneros.  I've certainly never seen anything like a Ghost Chili or a Trinidad Scorpion.

Any thoughts on how this might be best approached with vendors?  What are their expectations?  Bad idea?  I know that some of members here actually sell at some farmers markets.

Well I don't know if a lot of people would trade for supers as most can't handle them and also people don't know where those peppers came from and how they were grown

We took some superhots with us to the farmers market yesterday, they are never big sellers so we don't take more than a pound with us each time. As a vendor, we usually do some bartering with other vendors at the end of the day. Yesterday we traded lettuce for some pastries and bread and some eggs. I don't think we have ever bartered with anyone who wasn't there as a vendor and I would probably agree that most vendors would shy away from bartering with a random person who isn't there as a regular vendor.

That being said, there is no harm in trying, the worst that can happen is they say no. I would get there at the earliest possible time which would give them plenty of time to sell the peppers. Most vendors are much more interested in cash, which is why we don't start bartering with one another until the very end of the day with the items that didn't sell.

My dad owned a deli years ago, he would NEVER buy/trade/barter etc any food stuffs from some random person even if he saw u a few times. the liabilities are too much. Thats just my view but like a previos posted said ya have nothing to lose 

Make sauces or dry them make powders (or keep pods whole to re-hydrate) and blends and give them to friends as gifts or save for yourself - I have powders that I blend for the occasion or what ever a recipe needs   

So, I thought I would follow up this post with a positive result.

About 2 weeks ago I attended one of the local farmer's markets here in Central Florida and got to chat with one of the veggie vendors that was carrying jalapenos, habaneros and serranos.  I asked him if he ever sold superhots and he responded no, to which I then said I had surplus production this year and would he be interested in an in-kind trade for veggies, to which he said yes.  He asked if they were local grown and could I supply pictures of the area in which I was growing them and methods - and if so I could bring a sample of varieties for him to take a look at.  He said he didn't expect that he would sell many; being the novelty/niche item that they are, but he'd give them a try because apparently there are some customers who ask about them after all.

The story continues...

Back