• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Training for a half and eventual full marathon

Anyone with experience have any advice that they would share so I don't have to learn it the hard way?

I've decided i'm gonna do a local half marathon on October 19th and hopefully the 2015 Music City marathon in April.

I'm getting started on training early. Building up a good base for the intense training prior to the race.

:dance:

I have a decent book I can send you. I was going to run the chicago marathon a few years ago until I got hit by a car while out on a run. I used the book's training guide, and went from not running to running 13 miles effortlessly in a few months.

I'm running the half in the MCM in April of this year.  Never really ran before, so I am training up my endurance right now.  Will be interested in any good advice on here.

Yeah, in Italy. I kinda wish someone woulda had a dashboard cam and video taped it, cause according to everyone else I flew… I don't remember much about it.  I didn't think I was hurt that bad and ran 9 miles a couple days later. But then when I got on the airplane to head back stateside, it felt like my leg was going to explode.  Work outs following that I couldn't exert much on that leg without getting shooting pain.  But… the leg seems to be ok now.  The back on the other hand… o,0

I still tried to train for the marathon but a month beforehand my ex and I were going fishing and he dropped the aluminum boat on my knee as we were flipping it over. I took that as a sign that I probably wasn't supposed to run the marathon. 

The book i got was called Marathoning for Mortals.  It has a few different work out plans, I used that as a base, and then compared it with other plans I found on the internet.  My sister has run a number of marathons and halfs, so I also had her as a resource.  What I learned was that the cross training days were actually pretty helpful and not just a break from running, and get a good variety of music on your ipod for long runs because you will start to hate everything on your playlists after the first couple weeks. 

At first I was wanting to do it this year but I don't think I can be prepared in time. If i do it i'm gonna do it good. I'm going to shoot for winning the local one even though it will be still be tough competition. And the MCM… well we'll see how the small one goes first.

Rawkstah said:
What I learned was that the cross training days were actually pretty helpful 

I plan on doing a butt load of cross training. Swimming especially. And rowing. And lots of HIIT workouts

message stc3428 or whatever the numbers are.   dude is a running stud. he has been known to chase down cheetos,lions and bears.  woman have been known to chase him down :eek:  

chsy83 said:
Chasing down cheetos can be hard . . .

tell me about it

e8c0_shirt_plate_cheetos.jpg

Hey! I have run the full marathon once, and the half twice (maybe 3 times) and a bunch of other strange distance events (5,8,10,and 13k). 

Training is a commitment. You know that already. It is good to have a plan. 
Do you have a local running shoe store (not a major chain, like a mom and pop)?
These places will put you on a treadmill and analyze your gait and pair you up with the right shoes. 
You might pay a few pennies more, but the analysis is worth it. Your shoes are the most important part of the adventure
Plus you would be supporting a local business, which is always kinda cool.
Don't waste your money on other fancy stuff yet like GPS and fancy bibs and shirts and shorts and socks and water belts. Wait to see what you feel like you need once you get going.

There is a good online resource, www.halhigdon.com
I used his plans for all of my races. I trained at the intermediate level. You can expect to run short/intermediate distances 3 days during the week, and one long run on the weekend. I highly recommend his schedules. The longest training run I did for the full was 20 miles. That meant on race day I had to muscle out the last 6.2, and it was fine. They gave me beer at the finish line.

Don't train to win the thing, unless you are Kenyan. Do it for the other benefits. You will feel so good and in shape. 
There were mornings I was running 9 miles at 4:30 in the morning before work. Crazy!
I HIGHLY recommend running the full marathon ONCE!! 
I never want to do it again, but it is one of the things I've done that I am most proud of. 

Feel free to PM me if you want any more of my ideas. 
Good Luck!!

Sicman, that picture nearly made me pee myself when I scrolled down. LMAO

PJ, my brother does marathons. I think its just a matter of good eating and indurance training. But what do I know I'm an old fat guy that gets winded making wind.

Rymerpt said:
Sicman, that picture nearly made me pee myself when I scrolled down. LMAO

PJ, my brother does marathons. I think its just a matter of good eating and indurance training. But what do I know I'm an old fat guy that gets winded making wind.
 Well I eat very healthy and already have a good start on endurance training! 

+1 great comments here,

Biggest thing is don't skimp on your shoes, you might save a fee bucks now but you WILL pay for it later.

Also having a good training partner can make those bad days a little more bearable and speaking of bears get Bear, that guy, to chase you, errr, to run with you on race day. Your time will drop tremendously.

True Story
:)

sicman said:
message stc3428 or whatever the numbers are.   dude is a running stud. he has been known to chase down cheetos,lions and bears.  woman have been known to chase him down :eek:  
Haha...I catch more Cheetos than Cheetas these days. All good advice here! 13.1 is the first "long" distance I ran. I truly believe that almost anyone with little training can "complete" that distance. The question really is how you want to finish it...In a decent time standing tall??? Or limping along looking and feeling defeated??? The answer to finishing either way is the distance you put in before hand along with the speed work you do to practice your pace. 

I am not a running stud as siccy said...more or a run-nut as noted in my signature. I don't run fast...or perdy...I just run forest style for long distances carrying way to many extra lb's along the way. Shoes are important, but a bit overrated IMHO. I felt better after the Marathon I ran barefoot than any of the ones I ran with shoes...well with the exception of the bottom of my feet. The knees, hips and back felt amazing though...

The story of my running journey is Here. Good luck on your journey! The best advice I have for you is when you get to that point where you are wondering WTF you are doing and why...force yourself to smile and keep trucking!

Shane

Pepperjack91 said:
At first I was wanting to do it this year but I don't think I can be prepared in time. If i do it i'm gonna do it good. I'm going to shoot for winning the local one even though it will be still be tough competition. And the MCM… well we'll see how the small one goes first.

I plan on doing a butt load of cross training. Swimming especially. And rowing. And lots of HIIT workouts
Don't forget the bike on your cross training days...very easy to get out and get your heart rate in the right zone and keep it there without too much impact. If you're looking to win as you mentioned above interval training will be key to that, pushing yourself out of your normal comfortable rhythm. Keep us posted on your efforts! 

I already bike from time to time so I will definitely incorporate it. And I will keep everyone posted! I'm excited

I'm also gonna put an emphasis on my already pretty healthy diet. I'm gonna make it healthier where I can

stc3248 said:
Shoes are important, but a bit overrated IMHO. 

I've never run barefoot, but I HAVE run in bad shoes. Huge mistake.
I paid a lot for them at a major department store. Name brand, top of the line (so I thought)....the DID look cool, though. haha 

Having good shoes is crucial...because having BAD shoes can screw everything up, from your feet (blisters) to your shins to your knees, and all the way up. And once one of those things go...you can kiss your training goodbye for a while.

I'd love to run barefoot sometime, though. Kudos for doing a marathon that way. :)
I can hardly run from the front door to the garbage can barefoot without stepping on something that hurts!

Back