• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil transferring outdoor soil grown into indoor hydro?

I've heard brief mention of being able to take a plant that has been growing outdoors in soil all season and trimming back to root ball and foliage and then transferring that into a net pot dwc system and having it thrive under my light as an indoor hydroponic plant. I really want to try this but I'd like to see if anybody out there to give me any pointers or at least prevent me from destroying a perfectly good super hot plant. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Clean the roots and plant thoroughly and I mean thoroughly.

One of the advantages of hydro is no dirt pathogens and you don't want to bring them in.

I've done it with sucess before, just clean the roots off really well, maybe put it in the dwc with just water for a week and change out the water before adding nuts.

I'm having trouble bringing myself to start hacking into the foliage and root system of a perfectly healthy plant... i guess i just need to keep reminding myself it's for the long term benefit of the plant lol. Can someone please comfort me by giving me confidence to take such a drastic measure- how much of the root mass and foliage is it safe to remove? And is there any reliable methods of ensuring i dont bring in any aphids or spider mites or any other evil beings? ... would i be better off trying to take some clones??? Am i overthinking this??? Is it normal to care and worry so deeply about my capsicum? ?? This has spiraled out of control! Please help a newbie out!

I guess you could take a bunch of cuttings to clone and then transer the mother into hydro, that would maximize you chances of sucess. You should build a DYI cloner, that would be sweet and easy. google it at home (no work filters) the MJ guys have all this stuff figured out. How much longer can you keep you plant outside? I imagine that in DFW you have a very short winter, so you could take your clones now, wait until the weather changes dig your plant out and overwinter it for a short time and have it back in dirt before you know it.

I guess you could take a bunch of cuttings to clone and then transer the mother into hydro, that would maximize you chances of sucess. You should build a DYI cloner, that would be sweet and easy. google it at home (no work filters) the MJ guys have all this stuff figured out. How much longer can you keep you plant outside? I imagine that in DFW you have a very short winter, so you could take your clones now, wait until the weather changes dig your plant out and overwinter it for a short time and have it back in dirt before you know it.

You my friend are a freaking genius!!! I had tunnel vision so bad I didn't think of any of that! Especially the part about cycling it back out doors again for second season after running it in hydro! And that's a great plan to maximize my success potential. If I had to guess My outdoor plants Should be good into november. Well, at least, I'm praying that's the case since most of my pepper plants got a real late start this year and are just now podding up now that the brutal heat of summer has dissipated...

Back