• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Transplant depth...

I had 2 chocolate habanero plants that were nearly a foot tall, but lost leaves on the bottom 9" of the plant. I transplanted them outside and planted them about 4"-5" below the container level. Will this help, hurt, or do nothing for the plants?

I know it won't hurt and it will probably help. I always transplant deep, just like tomatoes. People claim peppers will not root above the soil level, but I have to respectfully disagree. I don't have photos to support this because I'm lazy, but I know for a fact several varieties will grow roots off the main stem. Besides, if nothing else, it'll help stabalize them in the wind when you go to harden them off.

I agree - just be careful not to let the area around the stalk be too wet
to avoid rot. I like to keep the soil surface around the stalks dry on
peppers and tomatoes.

As long as you have good drainage they'll do just fine. I have a sandy loam mix combined with a drip tape irrigation system and growing in a zone 4 area. I always plant them deep to establish a sturdy foot hold and root system.

peppers will grow roots from the stem below the cotyledon attach points...notice the difference in the texture of the stalk below and above where the cotyledons are/were...

All the way down except where your bottom leaves (the cotyledons) were. There are nodes there where they should grow new leaves. I lost about 6 leaves (very embarrassing, lol) on my cayenne and it grew new leaves on all its nodes including where the cotyledons used to be. I don't think they can grow roots beyond the nodes where your cotyledons were. However, they will grow leaves there and leaves are good!

Edit: Just read AlabamaJack's post. I think he is right about this and that's what I do! PS: Gotta love chocolate habs!

@ Dulac...I keep the lower leaves growth trimmed on the plant as it grows...on a mature plant, I want about 3" between the lower limbs/growth and soil...anything touching the soil (other than the stem) is a bug superhighway IMO...

@ Dulac...I keep the lower leaves growth trimmed on the plant as it grows...on a mature plant, I want about 3" between the lower limbs/growth and soil...anything touching the soil (other than the stem) is a bug superhighway IMO...

Not a bad idea.

If the soil is good that deep down I would think it would help if for no other reason then that deeper down I believe stays wet longer. So I would think there will be more abundant water down deeper.

+1
We've logged many hours pruning the little buggers which has payed off big at harvest.

Back