• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Transplanting Advise

But it won't hurt them if you are careful will it? (May be a way to "weed out" the weaklings) They have pretty good root systems and most of them have roots out of the bottom of the tray....thats exactly what I am working today so there will be pics this evening...

later all, cya this evening...

You'll save a lot of work and mess if you let a bit of a rootball form. You can let them grow in the cells a lot longer than most people think without much loss of productivity.

These ones are definitely ready for bigger pots. They don't need to be this big to transplant but when you're lighting is limited it could save lots of space and electicity $$.
457618603e62f51f148jv1.jpg

i find it is easier to wait until they form the rootbal cuz they just pop out with a little nudge but an argument could be made for doing it early so the roots never loop around each other. i think we only do it this way cuz its easier but its only easier for us cuz we don't have the tongs ;)
while i'd love to steal your ticket into the rentier class google informs me someone beat you to the idea
http://www.google.com/patents?id=_W...tract&zoom=4&dq=plant+transplant+tool#PPP1,M1
i wonder why they aren't marketed, i know nurseries use that peg board thing but you'd think home gardeners would buy it. they'll never get into the rentier class at this rate.

Still Transplanting...

the top frame in the picture is my "superhots"....

second frame is about half Chinenses back half is mixed baccatum, frutescens, and annuum....

third frame is mixed annuum, frutescens, and baccatum (labeled tray 2 in error, is tray 3)

last frame is working tray...

when I finish, I will have six trays filled with seedlings....

transplanttrays021608sy8.jpg

when you transplant do you fill up to the seed leaves or leave the soil level where it was? cuz i find it makes a stronger stem to do the former (not that i think you're gonna have real problems with that tho...).

I try to plant them as deeply as possible but also try and keep the bottom leaves above the soil about a 1/4". I just don't like the leaves touching the soil...

I just add a second layer of soil. nothing fancy.
Within a week or so, they're big, thick stemmed and pretty. :D

So you all are saying to fill the container above the sprout line when you repot them? I thought that might strangle the stalk? mmmmmmmmmmmm

WOW!!!

I thought I had a lot of plants. I am definatly learning a few things here. Thanks everyone for all of the wonderful feed back. Also please keep the pics flowing, I love them. I also must admit that after reading some other threads and found out that AJ is planning on planting in March, I became a little jealous...
I finially finish transplanting all of my seedlings that where ready. Hope you all like my pics...

MyGarden2008003.jpg

MyGarden2008004.jpg

MyGarden2008005.jpg

MyGarden2008007.jpg

mudatvs your plants look great, doesn't look like the first time for you. You have a green thumb for sure. Where do you live and when do you plan on planting outside? Glad to see so many people on this forum sharing pepper pics.

Thanks Pepper Ridge Farm. I am thinking that since I am in zone 5, I was going to plant outside about mid May. The frost map I found predicts the last frost sometime between May 1 - 31. Next year I think I will start less of each so I can start more varieties. I just hope everything makes it and produces a good harvest. Because this is my first year, everyday I check my plants is exciting and I really don't know what to expect. This forum and everyone here are really great and you all really help keep the anxiety down. LOL...

Back