• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Transplanting in Florida heat.

Computer being slow so not sure if this has been covered. Problem I'm having is when I transplant out in full sun. My plants are healthy and have been outside for several months in shade. When I put in sun they wither up and lose leaves. Some make it some don't. What can I do different to be more successful?

tent 2.jpg
tent 1.jpg

I USE A 50% SHADE COTH

I USE A 50% SHADE COTH

Not all varieties can handle the deep south full sun. Most chinense I have grown prefer to be protected from that 1-4 pm blast. Lots of ways you can accomplish that. Goats Weed, Thai, Jalapeno, Numex, all those could probably survive on the actual surface of the sun. Others, like Chiltepin, do best in light shade, ideally with direct sun in the morning.

PS. That shade cloth setup is awesome!

Yes this time of year shade is a good thing. Unless your plants have a strong root structure and are hardened off correctly. 

i have some plants that are thriving in full florida sun. they are mostly superhots. some are overwinters from last year (7 pot from THSC) that have given me a couple pounds of peppers each already this year. they are in raised beds. 

My experiences from last year indicated that the following chilis just loved the full blast of the Florida sun:

Jalapeno, Cayenne, Tabasco, Poblano, Orange Habanero

These did a bit better in spots with 2nd half day indirect light, in my case under patio eves:

Bhut Jolokia, White Lightning Habanero

This year, I've planned accordingly and will be using a combination of an East-facing row of Russian Mammoth Sunflowers and 50% shade cloth to create a partial respite from the sun for my Bhuts, Trinidad Scorpions, Doughlahs and Scotch Bonnets.  I've got the Cayennes and various Jalapeno varieties out in full sun and they love it.

Good topic.  My best variety of full sun peppers here in Coastal Central Florida have been Early Jalapeno.  Not a very interesting variety, I know, but they do really well, and make HUGE fruits.

I'd love to hear more from the Florida contingent on good flavorful varieties that do well in our climate.  Even better, if anyone has any proven strains that do well in our sub-climate, I'd be happy to know how I might acquire them...

I'm from WPB and my peppers deal with alot of wind from the direction that my house faces and being so close to waterways and ocean. They take a real beating. I have bhuts and a couple of unknown ones because they lost their tags. I grow in 6gal plastic containers and reuse my soil every season. I usually move them closer to the house to help with shading during the summer and keep them up off of the concrete. I water every other day since the heat and wind dries them out fast.

Angie

solid7 said:
Good topic.  My best variety of full sun peppers here in Coastal Central Florida have been Early Jalapeno.  Not a very interesting variety, I know, but they do really well, and make HUGE fruits.

I'd love to hear more from the Florida contingent on good flavorful varieties that do well in our climate.  Even better, if anyone has any proven strains that do well in our sub-climate, I'd be happy to know how I might acquire them...

I've found kung pao's to grow very well here.

Cayennes do great in the full sun here in Lake county.  My Tabasco and Grove peppers did best with 2-3 hours direct and the rest dappled light from tree cover.  I wouldn't hesitate to use shade cloth if no tree cover is available.

How long are you putting them in direct sun?
PepperObsession said:
Computer being slow so not sure if this has been covered. Problem I'm having is when I transplant out in full sun. My plants are healthy and have been outside for several months in shade. When I put in sun they wither up and lose leaves. Some make it some don't. What can I do different to be more successful?

StAugie, what, no mention of Datils? The St Augustine official pepper? 

:)

D they actually like the full on Florida Sun or prefer a little less?

Back