• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Transplanting Leggy Seedlings

Hi all,
This is my first attempt at chilli growing and my first question to you all.
i Have a few seedlings coming through and have noticed they grow quickly to around 1 in to 1 1/2 in
even though they get good light and dont have to reach for it they seem to
become leggy and barley seem to be able to support themselves.
What i want to know is can i transplant them and bury them deeper say up to the cotyledon so their better supported.
Cheers Kevvy.

Yup. Should be fine. And IIRC, you might get some rooting from the stem, too. Tomatoes do it like they mean it, but I believe peppers will, too.

Hi all,
This is my first attempt at chilli growing and my first question to you all.
i Have a few seedlings coming through and have noticed they grow quickly to around 1 in to 1 1/2 in
even though they get good light and dont have to reach for it they seem to
become leggy and barley seem to be able to support themselves.
What i want to know is can i transplant them and bury them deeper say up to the cotyledon so their better supported.
Cheers Kevvy.

What type of light are you providing to the seedlings?

Burying them deeper at the first transplant is fine.

Natural light, open air shade. I try to get them outside as soon as i
see them emerge.

I grew my seedlings in a spot that was under sunlight up to about 3:00 pm in spring. The summer weather at the moment is too hot to keep the seedlings out in anything other than early morning sunlight throughout the upcoming weeks.

I've done it plenty of times without adverse effects ;)

In fact, every time I've done it, it's given me the edge to get ahead and correct the insufficient light problem.

yes i too have done it plenty of times but i like to keep mine in a shady area with only a little sun light getting to them

not to worry with pepper plants, if they're leggy then plant them in deeper. as deep as you can get it. down to the very bottom leaves. the stem part of the plant that got buried will grow roots eventually.

not to worry with pepper plants, if they're leggy then plant them in deeper. as deep as you can get it. down to the very bottom leaves. the stem part of the plant that got buried will grow roots eventually.

I always plant chillies tomatoes and eggplants deeper as yes they root all down the buried stem.

it probably wouldn't hurt to add some daylight balanced CFL light bulbs to supplement their light. Find a cheap adjustable desk lamp at a thrift store and add a new bulb. If you're not already familiar with them, daylight balanced bulbs use the 6500K heat range. A majority of light bulbs used in homes use 2700K or are known as soft light.
I moved a some of my seedlings from under a T5 lamp to 2 desk lamps with CFL bulbs and they are doing just fine. Actually, they are slightly better off and seem much healthier.

I start my peppers in small 8oz styro cups. I poke holes in bottom and fill them 1/2 to 3/4's full. Then if they start to get leggy I can add soil as need until they're ready to be transplanted into a little larger cups or pots.

So as everyone has said you can transplant them deeper to stop that leggy thing.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Yeah, what THEY said! lol
6500k bulbs do work, but they can still become leggy, just as any other light. They say you have to get the light in close enough to keep them from getting too leggy...BUT, if you put the light TOO close, it may "burn" the leaves. I dont know about anyone else, but I typically keep my lights 4"-6" above the plants. Hasnt failed me yet. Some will still get leggy, though. But hey, its like everyone else said. Just bury them deeper when you transplant. Its as easy as that....

Back