• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

TRANSPLANTING OUTSIDE/GARDEN??

getting close in south Tennessee to prep ground and get ready for transplanting outside. im relatively newbie and would like your thoughts on best techniques and timelines. last frost here is late march. when should i till the soil? and once tilled, do you guys reccomend raised rows, quadrants, do you use mulch after planting or plastic? any help would be great. will have approx 300 plants. thanks again for your feedback!

Up in Michigan, I'm jealous.
Just started into the many varieties of hot peppers, but I've been gardening for several years. For prep I just try to till the garden when the ground is workable and when there will hopefully be a frost in the next night or so. I think that helps with some over-wintering pests - turn up the ground and let them freeze. I till it again before planting. I tend to try to add organic material as much as I can in spring and fall - good compost, sometimes peat, composted manure. I don't do raised rows or plastic or anything. I do try to stay right on top of the weeds early on. I think weeds are easier to stop early, and once your vegetables take hold they have a good head start on the weeds and such.
Nothing spectacular, but that's what I do and it's gone well thus far.
Good luck this year!

I've always used raised rows--it really helps with drainage, which peppers (and most plants) like. You can add soil amendments, ferts and water directly to the raised growing area, and skip doing that in the established paths to walk on between the rows. Last year, I put about half the garden in wood-framed raised beds, but really the concept is the same as a wide raised row--focus on the growing area, and never walk on that dirt again!

I use straw mulch around some of the plants, but not until the weather heats up--straw cools the soil, which is not what you like in May or June, but comes in quite handy in July and August. I've seen some use the black sheet plastic /landscape cloth mulch with fantastic results--It no doubt would warm the soil earlier and keep weeds out, maximize moisture. But I like to have better access to the dirt.

Back