• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

in-ground Transplanting to bigger pots or from pot to ground.

Let me start by saying this is not intended for seedlings. Applies only to well established plants.
Generally I will allow the root-bound plant to go dry, or nearly so; I slide my hand over the pot with the stem between my middle and ring finger and turn the plant/pot upside down and try to get the whole pot shaped root ball and dirt out in one piece. Turning the plant right side up I remove as much of the old dirt as possible and then go to the middle of the bottom of the root ball and tear the roots outward creating a cavity which fits nicely over the conical mound of potting soil in the next pot or prepared hole in the ground.
If the pot is too big for this I use a trowel to loosen the dirt from the sides of the pot and pry up from the bottom to break it free and firmly but carefully pull the plant out and proceed as above.
#1. By letting the soil in the plant to be transplanted go dry or nearly so; it tends to lessen the shock because it gets needed water immediately after transplant.
#2. By breaking up the root ball it creates an ideal situation for new root growth. New roots are the feeders of the plant so immediate root growth means a fast recovery.
Even though I'm new to growing Capsicum; this method of transplanting has served me well for 40 years of gardening. Cheers.

This method also works well for keeping a plant healthy in the same pot year after year if one cannot go to a larger pot. It effectively replaces old worn out soil with fresh new soil and gives the roots a trimming which gives them a new lease on life as well. ;)

Interesting, and I'm glad this works well for you but I have to point out that personally I do pretty much the opposite with great success.
I water plants a bit before potting up, and I try to not disturb the rootball at all keeping as much soil intact as possible. I don't think I've ever seen any transplant shock, at least with my peppers anyways.
Many other types of plants prefer the roots being broken up but I haven't found this with peppers

I do it like POTAWIE. Water first and don't mess with the roots.

But when I move plants to smaller pots for overwintering I trim the roots with scissors so they'll fit and that works too, and that is also with newly watered plants.

I water mine the day before, set the entire pots contents undisturbed into the new hole and then water again with a light feeding. I haven't seen a leaf droop yet.

I can see where breaking up the roots would be a benefit if the plant was extremely root bound though.

I just did this to a Habanero with 25 set fruit and haven't lost a single one. This has always worked for me; I don't offer it as the only way; just what works for me and my plants. Cheers.

I find the plants slide out a lot easier and there's a lot less mess if the plants is watered a little bit before potting up

POTAWIE said:
I find the plants slide out a lot easier and there's a lot less mess if the plants is watered a little bit before potting up
+1
I agree with Potawie. I tried to remove it dry one time and the plant was stuck to the pot. The soil was too light and if i wasnt carefull could have hurt the plant. Now i make sure its at least a little moist and the she slides right out ready for the larger pot or hole in the ground. No plant shock.

I use a bit of a combination, water before to help the soil stay together, and give the root ball a bit of stimulation to encourage new growth. it seems to work for me, but just like everyone is saying its personal preference. There's more than one way to skin a cat :)

Back