smokers Trash Can Smoker?

Dyce51 said:
if your gonna build this type os smoker...buy an un galvenized garbage can or a (NEW) plain steel barrel!! The zinc in the galvenizing is toxic. I have welded galvenized and zinc coat steel in the past....unique smoke....I paid for it for a day or 2 the headache was one of the worst I ever had....If you cannot find one plain then have a new garbage can bead blasted and paint it. just my 2 cents :hell:

Oh man, no sh*t...i can relate to that. I got my head twisted up bad welding terne plate(lead-coated galvanized steel) once. "Unique smoke" is a severe understatement.

I don't know where they get the mesquite chips here in New Mexico, but the smoke has a nice green glow at night...

Here where I reside we have stacks of mesquite just like you would trees in the yard. 2 smokers(metal barrels) fixed horizontally and a pipe vertically. Typical Texas BBQ. SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE was the key word when I moved out here. Thats all fine and dandy for brisket that takes 10-14 hours to smoke. Having lived in the Carolinas, I darn sure missed my pork BBQ. Ol man finally broke down and got a "grill"...guess what? He still is a man! Round these parts thought a grill to be less than. Mesquite is OK...but can be somewhat overwhelming...miss hickory at times.

people !!!!!!!!!!!!!1
broken water heaters are all over the place and make a safe place to cook food your gonna eat.
old fridges are a bad idea .
a cold smoker sure but start heating up plastic that was made in the 60's and you are asking for a lump on your balls.
70 bucks at walmart buys you a smoker box .
keep the old fridge in the landfill...

s

That flower pot idea is kinda neat.I might look into it for something to do...as for the refridgerator smoker..When I was thinking about doing it myself the fridge woulda been stripped clean then sterilazed(yes my spelling sucks lol)...If I owned my own place I would have done that but thats a story for another day....Where did fridges come into this conversation anyways??

I made a ceramic smoker a couple of years ago and would still be using it if we hadn't moved.
It worked well. I used two huge terre cottas one on top of the other, fire in the bottom.
The bottom one eventually cracked. So I re-built it by burying the bottom one with a piece of downspout buried along side to carry air down to the hole in the bottom.
It worked fantastic.
It is worth drilling a couple of holes and putting a handle on the top one, a temp guage in the side, and some bolts to hold the grate or grates.

Back