Treasures from Ghana

Some very interesting varieties happening there!
Would love to grow some, just need to find something to trade.

Micca

Digging through old photos, I found a picture of the stall in the village of Nkrakum, where I got these seeds in the first place.

7514215238_8d9cd18996_c_d.jpg

Clearly, the farmers have an eye for aesthetics. :) You can also see Ghanaian "loka tomato", as well as their "garden eggs" (or "ntorwah). Here's a close-up of the peppers.

7514213342_a554b922ea_c_d.jpg

[Edit: I just noticed the newspaper underneath the peppers is written in Dutch. How Dutch newspapers wound up in rural East Akyim, I have no clue.]

Thanks for posting the picture of the market stall. It adds some depth and perspective to the chiles. Could anyone share information on the "garden eggs"? They appear to be some sort of squash.

Thanks, Tom

Thanks for posting the picture of the market stall. It adds some depth and perspective to the chiles. Could anyone share information on the "garden eggs"? They appear to be some sort of squash.

Thanks, Tom

My pleasure -- glad you liked the pics. :) I really wish there was a way to share the taste. The way that they cook, and the complex, layered, bold flavors are really something that needs to be experienced.

Garden eggs are actually a kind of eggplant. They use them a lot in different soups and stews.

Wow, that didn't take long! I am out of Ghanian peppers for trade. Thanks for all the interest. After my current crop ripens (which should take a month or two) I should have plenty more.

Hey I'd love to try some of those [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Mako akok and [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Mako kokoo. IF you still have seeds. I'll send a pm.[/background]

I have the Mako akokɔsrade on my grow list for next year. How big would you say the plant gets? I know it is medium, but medium is a pretty big range and I want to make sure that it has the space to stretch its legs.

Also gonna grow Mako akok next year. Pretty excited to try a "pineapple/melon" flavor. Wonder if that is similar to the Trinidad peppers which have the most amazing aromatic smell/flavor.
I grew 22 different varieties this year, and will start off pretty much with only the Trinidad and similar aromatic peppers next year.

Back