• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2014 Grow Log - COLD COLD COLD

Figure I'll keep track 2014 on here. At least then all my data will be in one place instead of scattered around on slips of paper.

First; PSA.

I'll *never* use the Jiffy starting pods / soil again.

I lost 95% of the plants in these two trays:

bNZv4wLh.jpg

The roots wouldn't form. They couldn't get any nutrients out of the soil, whatsoever, and tried to suck what they could from the layers of paper. 

Burpee trays with compressed peat were planted 3 weeks later and within 3 weeks were quadruple in size.

Finished transplanting all sprouts on Saturday (4-5-2014).

HZ99VoLh.jpg

xStYBqlh.jpg

I might lose a couple transplants but here's the current count (all in 3" paper cups)

7 pod Barrackpore - qty 6
7 pod Brain Strain, Yellow - qty 5 
7 pod Brain Strain, Red - qty 11
7 pod Chaguanas - qty 7
7-pod Jonah - qty 4
7-pod Long - qty 11
7-pod Original Red - qty 7
7-pod Primo - Qty 3

Bhut Jolokia (brown) - Qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (indian carbon) - qty 6
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 9
Bhut Jolokia (yellow) - qty 7
Bhut Jolokia (white) - qty 6

Brown Moruga - qty 6

Carolina reaper - qty 23

Cayenne (Sweet) - qty 3
Cayenne (large) - qty 6
Chili de Abrol - qty 10

True Cumari - qty 1

Datil - qty 3

Dedo De Moca - qty 3

Dorset Naga - qty 3

Fatali, Yellow - qty 4

Giant mexican Rocoto - qty 4

Goats weed - qty 3

Habanero (big sun) - qty 8
Habanero (chocolate) - all died / no sprouts
Habanero (orange) - qty 4

Jalapeno (black) - qty 8 
Jalapeno (early) - qty 14
Jalapeno (giant) - qty 15

Mako Akokosrade - qty 3

Naga Morich (orig) - qty 6
Naga Morich (monster naga) - qty 3
Naga morich (bombay morich) - qty 6

Pimenta de Neyde - qty 3

Tobago (seasoning) - all died

Tobago Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 3
Tobago Scotch Bonnet (yellow) - qty 5

Trinidad Scorpion (butch T) - qty 8
Trinidad Scorpion (Cardi) - qty 4
Trinidad scorpion (douglah) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion Moruga - qty 7
Trinidad scorpion (orig) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion (PI 281317) - qty 3
Trinidad Scorpion (smooth) - qty 1
Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) - qty 4

PI 281429 - qty 1

surviving overwinters in large pots:

7-Pod (orig) - qty 1
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (giant) - qty 1
Yellow Bhut jolokia - qty 2
Carolina Reaper - qty 4
Cayenne - qty 1
habanero (golden) - qty 3
habanero (tazmanian) - qty 3
Naga morich - qty 1
naga Viper - qty 2
Trinidad Scorpion - qty 1
Butch-T Trinidad - qty 2
Trinidad scorpion moruga - qty 3
Yatsufusa - qty 1
Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 1 (sole 2012 survivor)

Total 3" pot transplants: 264
Total overwinters surviving: 28

kgetpeppers said:
How did you go about controlling this? Im curious becuase as said im in a similar deal and scared lol

I've been removing any leaves with spots or decay, well away from the garden. Some of the plants are looking kind of bare, but there's still time for them to spring back.

I took some pictures tonight of a couple of different issues I'm having, not sure how to diagnose a couple of them.

will post more when I get them uploaded.
So are these "Sweet Cayenne" ever going to change color??? (Still more pods than plant, on this one.... yeesh)

Mwyevqxh.jpg

Finally! Pepper color. This is a "Large Cayenne" - got seeds from Judy.

GAn7eBsh.jpg

This is what usually happens to my Cayenne. Rot before ripen. So far I've only lost a couple pods to it this year. They seem to love the massive amounts of rain and high temps we've been getting.

8oi4Mayh.jpg

Early Jalapenos

xY2gMiah.jpg

Black Jalapenos doing about the same.

tDgOxRnh.jpg

Giant Jalapenos not living up to their name. Maybe it's because I keep eating them before they get big??? ;)

SyMtUqfh.jpg

Pimenta de Neyde. These plants are pretty. 

1U4i9xSh.jpg

Been picking off HUNDREDS of leaves with bacteria or fungus spots (not sure which) on them. This pubescense is getting hit now by it. Hadn't shown any problems until this week. (Giant mexican rocoto)

0dzLXFgh.jpg

Same plant different leaves. I just pruned it a couple days ago - taken a couple dozen leaves off of this one plant so far this week. ALL of the plants in that corner of the garden got this crap. 

5ssmVVNh.jpg

Chili de abrol, other half of that afflicted row, are doing great. Annuums seem to be immune to every damn thing.

wHyzxCCh.jpg

Dat's 10!

This is one of the worst of the Chinense. It's dropped a large amount of leaves, and I've pruned more. The leaves that aren't affected by the bacteria/mold/virus (whatever, unknown) are cupped and misshapen.

I've seen pics like this on the board before but I can't recall the cause. Nutrient issue? Mites, maybe?

ZYrhrh9h.jpg

Here's another problem child. Overwinter from last year. Got hit by herbicide hard. Purplish/dark brown spots/streaks on the stem, purplish/dark brown spots on the leaves.

ZhK2SZ9h.jpg

Same plant, wider angle. I have 4 of the overwinters doing this, total. This is the worst of them. I segregated that one from the rest, a ways.

ap4vaAOh.jpg

Same plant, fruit. This is what that herbicide did to my poor pepper plants. Remember I posted a picture of the "ultra-mega-super-node" a month ago, with 20-something flower buds all clustered together? This is what happens if you miss pruning one of those.

AMartK4h.jpg

It's like something out of a horror movie. A couple of those pods are "triplets" - 3 pods, one stem. Some are double. Hard to count the damn things. 

Another angle of the "Supernode":

6XAzSUSh.jpg

Top down view of the Supernode.

Osupywch.jpg

(This is a Naga Morich, BTW).

After pruning some of the damaged leaves off;

M71wrKeh.jpg

Now on to more "good news." :)

Tazmanian Habanero overwinter is flourishing.
AJoxs3Sh.jpg

So is this bhut jolokia overwinter.
tiPKUM7h.jpg

And this guy... well, this overwinter just makes my butt hurt, thinking about it. Looks like it's putting on some nasty, gnarly pods again this year.
0MSKXuNh.jpg

that's 10 again!

Thanks for the bump.

Oh you dirty bastard.

KoL3xnMh.jpg

Moving on to some "new troopers".  These are extras I potted up to 5gal cloth bags.

Mako Akokosade
bnrrOmFh.jpg

More pest problems. Evidently something likes to eat Naga Morich. Probably the same guy eating the tomatoes.

a5L1eWdh.jpg

These Bhut Jolokia Indian carbons are a bit bumpy. I bet they're gonna be HOT. :)

7QAiFfKh.jpg

When the garden got hit with herbicide on the breeze, the spares were intentionally left alone so I could compare them against the dirt plants. (Eventually the dirt plants will outpace them, obviously being contained in a 5 gal paper pot isn't going to let them grow to potential).

Which is why I became somewhat amazed at them. Not using root stimulant or pruning back to check the growth, the plants became MONSTROUS. The stem on this one is thicker in diameter than my thumb, while some of the leaves are as big or bigger than my hand.

VamE9XGh.jpg

Maybe this means they'll produce equally ginormous pods? :) Time will tell. This 7-pod barrackpore is doing well.

AmgJcFGh.jpg

So is this 7-pod chauganas

bpRw7ulh.jpg

This pimento de neyde is growing pods in all sorts of crazy directions. I think it has ADHD.

s18dXFRh.jpg

This 7-pod original is podding up like crazy too. These cloth bags are working out better than plastic pots. None of my potted plants did this well, this fast last year. 

rgYTgSYh.jpg

The rock garden peppers are doing good. I lost one from a branch that fell off of a tree, but the rest are growing large and all have pods now.

The thing is, they get so much shade, the leaves grow ENORMOUS. This Yellow Brain Strain has taken a bit of storm damage (assuming from heavy rain) but it's trucking right along.

OLrePsxh.jpg

OK so the pictures with the spots definately looks like Bacterial leaf spot or w.e and exactly looks like my plants, mostly my annuums are affected and its in one damn side of the garden but some other plants showing just like one or two spots, the affected plants are starting to drop one by one becuase i didnt prune em fast enough, im hoping the ones i pruned leaves off will survive. Lots 3 of my plants I really wanted to produce, pequin and tepin/charapita :( idk what else to do besides pray and keep picking any new leaves that are bad off

Which one?

This one? 

0dzLXFgh.jpg

Or this one?

ZhK2SZ9h.jpg

I've been plucking off affected leaves daily and removing ones that have fallen off from the garden. Some of the plants are getting pretty bare, but better than letting the shit steamroll my entire garden.

Haven't lost any to it yet.

Been reading through this... if you want to get paranoid about all the nasty stuff that can happen to your pepper plants.. yeesh.

http://203.64.245.61/fulltext_pdf/EB/1900-2000/eb0068.pdf

Wish it was in color. :(
Here's a field ident guide in color:

http://www.seminis.com/global/us/growerresources/documents/sem-12095_pepperdiseases_8p5x11_072313.pdf

Looks like that first pic I posted (hitting the plants in the northeast corner of my garden) is Frogeye.

Damnit. I have about a half dozen plants showing signs of fresh 2,4-D damage again. Both of the PDF's I posted in #466 confirm that diagnosis again. The nearby farmers must have sprayed again. 

I don't know what disease the second pic shows in #466, but it's more worrysome than the frogeye OR the 2,4-D, because tonight I found that same pattern on 4 more overwinters. Those 4 I discovered it on tonight had been transplanted a month and a half ago in to fresh slow release potting soil, so that rules out micro or macro nutrient issues. Whatever it is must be transferrable by insect or human (my hands), because I also found it on two in-the-dirt plants as well.....

That second disease has me a bit nervous because the plants that disease started on are stunted and 100% stalled out. Maybe I should have ditched them instead of trying to hold on to them...

Fertilized the dirt batch tonight w/ heavy duty liquid fertilizer. Plants were getting pale. It's been raining so often I didn't see much point in wasting the fertilizer just to have it run off. Ground is still saturated so I tried not to put TOO much water on them, but had to give them a shot in the arm....

kgetpeppers said:
I guess it would be the top frog eye one. Its slaying my a nuums. I pulled two just for safe measure ome was super bare but was spreading fast

Dude I'm playing the Evil Butcher role on any leaves I find with spots. I'm relentless.

Why?

My plants in each row are touching each other and the rows are DAMN near growing together now. 

If I don't get a handle on this shit *right now* it's going to spread like wildfire in a week.

Runescape said:
Oh, f**k...

Pod pics are awesome btw...

Yeah again. With all the rain we got, it's no doubt another neighbor or farmer must have sprayed that crap again on the first dry spell we get in a month and a half.

I'm hoping they are far enough along now they will cope with it. Problem is there's a LOT more leaf surface area now to catch crap on the breeze, than there was a month and a half ago....

And just think. We get to breathe that shit in all the time and we never know.

Can't be good for us.

To the deer that ate 1/2 of my really nice moruga scorpion overwinter this morning... you've been warned, pal.

UuZyaTCh.jpg

(Fresh tracks next to the plant confirmed the pest....)

Dang it Trent, you seem to be having a tough year. I bet you want to house your garden in a giant bubble.

Hang in there Trent,my problem last year was white fly taking over starting with the toms.You have been doing a good job trying to stay on top of things.

Devv said:
Dang it Trent, you seem to be having a tough year. I bet you want to house your garden in a giant bubble.

Overall it's actually a really good year, with a few isolated problems. My plants are setting up to go nuts soon, but a few are worrying me.
Even the one that had the 9" wide tree branch fall on it in the rock garden is somehow coming back again. :)

Oh!!! The BEES ARE BACK!!!!!! For the first time this year I saw bees in the garden, and not just one, or two; but a whole frigging swarm of the buggers crawling over my Cucumbers. FINALLY they'll quit dropping flowers and start making fruit!!!

kgetpeppers said:
Trent have you used any copper or other bactericidal or fungal products? wondering if I should try one. 

If your problem is bad, definitely try. Quite a few of those conditions resolve themselves when the weather dries back out; but if it's got a strong foothold, or bacterial, or it's a type of fungus that once it sets in doesn't go away, definitely break out the copper spray. 

I'm *about* to get to that point on my tomatoes. I can't prune any more off without doing irreperable harm. Everything under the 2' mark has been cut off at this point, and I keep finding isolated spots of Septoria. My neighbor is in far worse shape - he didn't prune, and he's lost ALL of his tomato plants now to septoria.

millworkman said:
Good luck with the overspray Trent.  Hopefully they have enough root structure to keep up.

I think they'll be fine. I did hit the worst of them them with root stimulant (same stuff people use to do clones of cuttings, just a little more diluted). So they've assuredly got some monster root systems now; that root stimulant stopped them in their tracks for a couple of weeks and now they're going CRAZY with big growth. That meant something real good was happening underground. :)

I'm kind of excited about it; they didn't get MUCH this time; and the plants are much bigger (most over 3' tall now) - just a few leaves with the jagged midspine vein. I'm thinking it'll kick them in to overdrive right at the proper time. :)

randyp said:
         Hang in there Trent,my problem last year was white fly taking over starting with the toms.You have been doing a good job trying to stay on top of things.

Well, I pamper my peppers. The rest... not so much. My onions are overgrown with weeds, my beans need cleaned out (got fungus problems in there too), etc.  So don't think for one minute that I've got a showcase garden. I pick the angles I take pictures from with purpose. :)

There's a certain logic behind it too. I have X number of hours I can work in the garden. And I can buy those other veggies if I screw up a row of beans, or a few mater plants, or onions. :)

Can't exactly go to the supermarket and buy 60 varieties of ultrahots though.   :)

Oooh !!! I got a care package from Tejas!!!

p3FmdmBh.jpg

Y9hcYzah.jpg

If you get time... to ID the unlabeled ones Devv?

Gonna be HOT tonight lol. Mouth watering... nomnomnom.

I brought these in tonight; spent 2 hours picking frigging beans... somewhere in that bag is the first wave of Jalapenos - gonna make poppers later tonight (when my back finally quits spasming...ugh)

jMUt3BZh.jpg

My wife said "I'm sooo sick of snapping beans"... I said "I'm soooo sick of standing outside for two hours in 100F heat index bent over with my back killing me being eaten alive by spiders and mosquitos while picking beans so you can sit in the air conditioning in a nice chair for a half hour snapping them."

(Obviously she's not speaking to me now lol)

Just got caught up. Garden is looking great man. You're quite fastiduous... I got a bunch of little spots on a bunch of my plants. I just kind of let 'em fly unless they seem to be hindering the plant. Hard to tell what is the result of insect meddling and what is a legit problem. The only plant I am really sure is having disease issues is the datil, which is a shame because the pods are amazing.

Anyway, keep the pics coming! Enjoying the shots of your garden. Looks like  you're coming through the herbicide storm.

Back