• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2014 Grow Log - COLD COLD COLD

Figure I'll keep track 2014 on here. At least then all my data will be in one place instead of scattered around on slips of paper.

First; PSA.

I'll *never* use the Jiffy starting pods / soil again.

I lost 95% of the plants in these two trays:

bNZv4wLh.jpg

The roots wouldn't form. They couldn't get any nutrients out of the soil, whatsoever, and tried to suck what they could from the layers of paper. 

Burpee trays with compressed peat were planted 3 weeks later and within 3 weeks were quadruple in size.

Finished transplanting all sprouts on Saturday (4-5-2014).

HZ99VoLh.jpg

xStYBqlh.jpg

I might lose a couple transplants but here's the current count (all in 3" paper cups)

7 pod Barrackpore - qty 6
7 pod Brain Strain, Yellow - qty 5 
7 pod Brain Strain, Red - qty 11
7 pod Chaguanas - qty 7
7-pod Jonah - qty 4
7-pod Long - qty 11
7-pod Original Red - qty 7
7-pod Primo - Qty 3

Bhut Jolokia (brown) - Qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (indian carbon) - qty 6
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 9
Bhut Jolokia (yellow) - qty 7
Bhut Jolokia (white) - qty 6

Brown Moruga - qty 6

Carolina reaper - qty 23

Cayenne (Sweet) - qty 3
Cayenne (large) - qty 6
Chili de Abrol - qty 10

True Cumari - qty 1

Datil - qty 3

Dedo De Moca - qty 3

Dorset Naga - qty 3

Fatali, Yellow - qty 4

Giant mexican Rocoto - qty 4

Goats weed - qty 3

Habanero (big sun) - qty 8
Habanero (chocolate) - all died / no sprouts
Habanero (orange) - qty 4

Jalapeno (black) - qty 8 
Jalapeno (early) - qty 14
Jalapeno (giant) - qty 15

Mako Akokosrade - qty 3

Naga Morich (orig) - qty 6
Naga Morich (monster naga) - qty 3
Naga morich (bombay morich) - qty 6

Pimenta de Neyde - qty 3

Tobago (seasoning) - all died

Tobago Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 3
Tobago Scotch Bonnet (yellow) - qty 5

Trinidad Scorpion (butch T) - qty 8
Trinidad Scorpion (Cardi) - qty 4
Trinidad scorpion (douglah) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion Moruga - qty 7
Trinidad scorpion (orig) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion (PI 281317) - qty 3
Trinidad Scorpion (smooth) - qty 1
Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) - qty 4

PI 281429 - qty 1

surviving overwinters in large pots:

7-Pod (orig) - qty 1
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (giant) - qty 1
Yellow Bhut jolokia - qty 2
Carolina Reaper - qty 4
Cayenne - qty 1
habanero (golden) - qty 3
habanero (tazmanian) - qty 3
Naga morich - qty 1
naga Viper - qty 2
Trinidad Scorpion - qty 1
Butch-T Trinidad - qty 2
Trinidad scorpion moruga - qty 3
Yatsufusa - qty 1
Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 1 (sole 2012 survivor)

Total 3" pot transplants: 264
Total overwinters surviving: 28

I'm now being told that my wife has pulled a series of carrots from the garden, which look similar.

When you go to crack that mysterious hab open, I'll pay up for some of those seeds!!!!  That looks wicked!

that's one mighty harvest Trent ... hooooooolysheeit
:P

looks like that garden is rewarding you for all the attention and hard work you've done this year

Thanks guys!

This was a decent sized pull, but it's JUST getting started.

Most of my dirt plants are just now beginning to ripen, and many of those have several dozens of pods on them (each). That pull today was 90% from the potted plants, and potted overwinters. 

It's going to be nuts next month. 

In case you missed it earlier I'm shipping out free small flat rate boxes. My list is now empty so if you want to get some freebies, PM me!

hsKo4LFh.jpg

(Larger boxes are going to commercial guys, I sell pods now and then too.)

TrentL said:
Well, the ground was so sloppy wet, I had NO problem harvesting carrots today.

I laughed pretty good when I pulled this one out of the ground.

wLenUxjh.jpg

Try tilling your soil as deep as you can.  That will help prevent this from happening.  If your forking carrot is forking for the same reason mine in the past did. lol

HillBilly Jeff said:

Try tilling your soil as deep as you can.  That will help prevent this from happening.  If your forking carrot is forking for the same reason mine in the past did. lol

I think they hit some rocks here & there. Used to be a gravel driveway *right* next to where that part of the garden is (since been paved), so the soil is fairly rocky. More rocky than I'd like it to be.

Pulled out a lot of carrots that took a couple 90 degree turns on their way down lol :)

yeah my datil, goats weed, and cumari plants are *right* next to each other. I get them confused, because I've never grown any of them until this year lol. :)

There's been a lot of "shit what is this???" moments when harvesting.

It's hard to get to some of the tags now, bending over involves risking breaking plants as the canopy has fully formed.

Nice haul from the garden Trent!

That's a hell of a lot of peppers! I gave a bunch to a chef (a real chef) who has his own restaurant, he rewarded me with a few free lunches and close to a gallon of the hot salsa he made. I had so much over flow (like you're going to have), I didn't know what to do with them all.

I'm trying like hell to give as many away as I can Devv :)

I managed to give away *all* of what was on that island in 2 days, except for about 2/3 gallon of random leftovers.

I've got 10 people on my "next weekend pick" list so far.

So .. hopefully I can keep ahead of the curve. I've already got 5 gallons frozen. Only so much room in the deep freeze.

Haven't started running the dehydrator yet (been too humid to even bother attempting that).

randyp said:
   Great pull Trent,A 2nd deep freeze might be on your 2014 X-Mas list. :P

LOL as it stands now I have enough pods frozen to last me to 2017. I can only use ultrahots so fast (and that's not VERY fast....)

I said this last year, but this year I REALLY mean it.. next year I'm "dialing back" the amount of ultrahots I'm growing.

On a related note, I've been putting some thought in to next year. :)

My peppers were *all* open pollenated this year. I think I'm going to take 20 or 30 random pods, harvest seeds, and grow them out next year to get a bunch of {parent}x??? crosses. 

Just to keep things... interesting. :)

Reason I'm thinking this is I had a Black Jalapeno grow up this year producing crossed pods. I *believe* it was crossed with a cayenne, indoors, this winter, as I harvested seeds in February from flowers/pods that weren't exposed to insect pollination. (Although, I believe the Ladybugs I released in the grow room in January might have accidentally crossed them - ladybugs aren't traditional pollenators but when you release 1500 of them in a 12x10 grow room, well, "shit happens" lol.) Four of five grew true, but one produced some weirdly shaped black, roughly Jalapeno-shaped stubby pods, but with cayenne smell and distinct cayenne flavor.

I've been fascinated by that little runt of a plant, and the odd Jalapeno/Cayenne flavor the pods produced. (Makes real interesting poppers...)

A friend of mine harvested seeds from some pods I sent him last year, and grew them out. I warned him they're probably crossed, but he grew them anyway. Ended up with a yellow scotch bonnet x???? cross that is growing strong and producing, well, for lack of a better description, "penis shaped" pods that turn from green to red... 

(I have 71 varieties out there, so it'd be like the "wheel of fortune" on what has been crossed with what)

Big thanks to trent!!! you the man,,,

He sent me some lower heat pods since My "mild" garden was having issues with microscopic pests from all the rain We have had here :(

THanks again bud, they all look great 
20140827_225125_zpsrqpzi3mm.jpg

20140827_225117_zps6fkfcl6d.jpg

Next time you can keep the spider gift :P!!!

Kurt

HAH! Yeah gotta love presents like that.

I don't wash pods before I ship them; I found once you wash them it rapidly cuts down on the shelf life. 

I feel bad for the guys who I ship the trinidad scorpion types to- I try to get as much of the webbing out of the folds by the tail as I can with a toothpick, but little spiders LOVE hiding up in there...

Oh I hope you like those little Chili de Abrol. The bottom half of those don't have hardly any heat, but when you get up around the seeds, oh man. They pack a surprising punch. Great moderate level heat chili, and good flavor.

ETA: It works out well with those since I can do "his & hers" dishes - my wife likes the flavor but not the heat; so I give her the bottom half of those Chilis and I use the top half in my pan...

Back