• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2015 Grow Log (potting soil probs solved!)

Well, off to an early start this year. 

I'm planting left over seeds from last year, to start, so I'm putting them in a little early just in case some don't pop.

Sorting last year's stash I kept tucked away from Pepperlover

Ps11gk4h.png

And the first tray of 2015

C3rSEmUh.png

I didn't plant any Nagas this year. Probably won't. Not doing reapers again, have plenty of heat in the brown morugas, brain strains, and barrackpores.

The next tray I do will be the rest of the non-annuums in a couple weeks, plus a replant of anything that hasn't popped by then.

Shooting for about 80 plants in the ground this year.

One full row of annuums, 5 jalapeno plants, 10 cayenne plants (never seem to grow enough of that!). 15

4 1/2 rows of Chinense, 10 per row. 45

1 1/2 rows of mixed pube/fructs/baccatum 15

Rock Garden did surprisingly well last year - so another dozen in there. GREAT big plants in the shade, not a lot of pods, though, and they took their damn sweet time ripening in the shade. So I'll probably put more annuums up there than I did last year (faster growing cycle) 12

Will reuse the 30x 5 gallon cloth pots one more time.. those did pretty good! Smaller plants, smaller pods, but they were all tasty. :)  30

Which brings the total planned grow to 117 peppers. 

Fewer than last year, but I'm saving some room to grow some watermelons this year, or die trying!

(Cutting out one full row of peppers; moving the beans up, to clear room for melons.)

Anyway, here's to 2015!

Current grow list as of 2/22/2015

Name,Source,Planted
7-Pod Barrackpore,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pod Chaguanas,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pod Jonah,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pod Orig,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pod Primo,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
7-Pot Long,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Aji Golden,tctenten,2/22/2015
Aji Peruvian,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Amish Bush,Pepperlover,2/22/2015
Bahamian Goat,tctenten,2/22/2015
Bahamian Goat,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Bhut Jolokia Brown,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Bhut Jolokia Red,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Bhut Jolokia White,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Bhut Jolokia Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Big Thai Hybrid,tctenten,2/22/2015
Bolsa De Dulce,D3monic,2/13/2015
Bombay Morich,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Bonda Ma Jacques,D3monic,2/13/2015
Boyanska Kapiya,tctenten,2/22/2015
Brain Strain Red,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Brazilian Starfish,tctenten,2/22/2015
Brown Moruga,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
CAP 215,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Cayenne,Pepperjoes,2/22/2015
"Cayenne, Charleston Hot ",tctenten,2/22/2015
"Cayenne, Large Thick",Pepperlover,2/22/2015
"Cayenne, Sweet",Pepperlover,2/22/2015
CGN 20812/PI159233,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
CGN 22691,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
CGN 24360,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
CGN19198,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
CGN22792 / PI260478,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Chili de Abrol,Pepperlover,2/22/2015
Datil,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Datil (replant tray 2),Pepperlover,2/13/2015
"Datil, Sweet",D3monic,2/13/2015
Dedo De Moca,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Dorset Naga,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Fatali Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Friariello Di Napoli,tctenten,2/22/2015
Giant Mexican Rocoto,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Goat Pepper/CGN22794/PI260595,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Goats Weed,Pepperlover,2/22/2015
Habanero Antillais Carribean,Jcw10tc/SLP,2/13/2015
Habanero Antillais Carribean,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Habanero Cristiana,tctenten,2/22/2015
Habanero Giant Orange,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Habanero Manazano,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Habanero Niranja Picante,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Habanero Niranja Picante,jcw10tc/SLP,2/13/2015
"Habanero, Black",tctenten,2/22/2015
"Habanero, Carribean Red",D3monic,2/13/2015
"Habanero, Chocolate",Pepperlover,2/8/2015
"Habanero, Hot Paper Lantern",tctenten,2/22/2015
"Habanero, Orange",ribbedturtleneck,2/13/2015
"Habanero, Paper Lantern",D3monic,2/13/2015
"Habanero, White",ribbedturtleneck,2/13/2015
"Habanero, White bullet",D3monic,2/13/2015
"Habanero, Yellow",ribbedturtleneck,
Hawaiian Kona,tctenten,2/22/2015
"Jalapeno, Biker Billy",tctenten,2/22/2015
Large Orange Thai,growdown,2/22/2015
Large Red Rocoto,tctenten,2/22/2015
Mako Akokosrade,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
MOA Scotch Bonnet,Jcw10tc/pepperlover,2/13/2015
Monster Naga,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Naga Morich,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
Orchid PI 497974,Pepperlover,2/13/2015
PI 281429,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Piment d Espelette,tctenten,2/22/2015
Pimenta Da Neyde,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Poblano 2014,D3monic,2/13/2015
Santa Fe Grande,Pepperjoes,2/22/2015
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Scotch Bonnet Yellow,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015
Shattah,Jcw10tc/pepperlover,2/13/2015
Star of Turkey,Jcw10tc/pepperlover,2/13/2015
Tobago,Pepperjoes,2/22/2015
Tobago Scotch Bonnet Red,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Tobago Scotch Bonnet Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Tobago Seasoning,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Doughlah,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Perfume,tctenten,2/22/2015
Trinidad PI 281317,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion (orig),Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion Cardi,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Trinidad Smooth,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
True Cumari,Pepperlover,2/8/2015
Urfa Biber,D3monic,2/13/2015
Yellow Moruga,Jcw10tc,2/13/2015

hey Trent!
I was wondering when you'll put something up for us to see ;)

nice plan you have there, plenty of all kinda peppers
good luck with the grow!

Also asking for a bit of help.

With the new baby (!!!) I'm having to really watch what I spend this year!

If anyone wants to mail me any seeds I don't already have in the tray pictured above, I'd be more than grateful. 

:)

I have about 10 more random non-chinense from Judy that I set back for this year. Annuums, a few baccatums, Pubes, and Fructs. But that leaves a gap of about 60 plants. 

Looking for a few more Chinense (some habs!) and more bac's, pubes, and fructs! Maybe an interesting annuum or two.

Anyone that wants to help out just send me a PM and I'll get you my address.

Only need a couple two or three seeds of whichever type you want to send, these leftover burpee trays I had from last year, are pretty damn reliable at germination.

In return, I'll send you an IOU for now, and then a SFRB of whichever pods you want later this summer!

Trent, glad to see you back for another season. I will gladly send you some seeds. I have some Hot Paper Lantern habs, and some Habanero Cristina amongst others. Just shot me a pm.

PM sent Terry! Thanks for the offer bud!

tsurrie said:
hey Trent!
I was wondering when you'll put something up for us to see ;)

nice plan you have there, plenty of all kinda peppers
good luck with the grow!

Thanks buddy! Last year was spectacular, deep freeze is still stuffed to the brim!

So many of my winter plans got put on hold from the new baby.

For those that missed that at the tail end of last year's glog;

* My mentally disabled sister showed up at the hospital with back pain and 24 hours later delivered a baby
* That same day IL DCFS showed up wanting to put the baby in foster care as my sister is not capable of raising a baby
* 24 hours after that I was in court filing for adoption
* 24 hours after that I was bringing a new baby home.

Literally had 48 hours to decide to adopt, prepare the house for a baby, and bring the baby home. (Most people get 9 months to prepare for that.)

Racked up $8500 in legal fees between Sept and Jan, between the adoption and order of protection hearings against one Jackass Sperm Donor and one certain Step Father of mine. 

Won both orders of protection for 2 years each.

Of course mid winter hit and my truck blew out an oil cooler, got hit with $2200 in engine repairs on my F350.

So it's been a rather extraordinarily expensive winter. Between those big unexpected costs and the normal costs of baby (diapers, formula, etc), that's killed any fun money I have for the foreseeable future. 

And gardening falls squarely in to the 'fun money' side of things. (Compared to bills, etc.)

So... yeah. Here I am begging for seeds, LOL!

Hell of a way to start the year!

TrentL said:
PM sent Terry! Thanks for the offer bud!

Thanks buddy! Last year was spectacular, deep freeze is still stuffed to the brim!

So many of my winter plans got put on hold from the new baby.

For those that missed that at the tail end of last year's glog;

* My mentally disabled sister showed up at the hospital with back pain and 24 hours later delivered a baby
* That same day IL DCFS showed up wanting to put the baby in foster care as my sister is not capable of raising a baby
* 24 hours after that I was in court filing for adoption
* 24 hours after that I was bringing a new baby home.

Literally had 48 hours to decide to adopt, prepare the house for a baby, and bring the baby home. (Most people get 9 months to prepare for that.)

Racked up $8500 in legal fees between Sept and Jan, between the adoption and order of protection hearings against one Jackass Sperm Donor and one certain Step Father of mine. 

Won both orders of protection for 2 years each.

Of course mid winter hit and my truck blew out an oil cooler, got hit with $2200 in engine repairs on my F350.

So it's been a rather extraordinarily expensive winter. Between those big unexpected costs and the normal costs of baby (diapers, formula, etc), that's killed any fun money I have for the foreseeable future. 

And gardening falls squarely in to the 'fun money' side of things. (Compared to bills, etc.)

So... yeah. Here I am begging for seeds, LOL!

Hell of a way to start the year!

well, you sure did the right thing.. its a bummer you had all those costs to handle... but I bet you'll get plenty of seed sent your way soon
I'd send you some habanero seeds myself, but you wouldn't get them anyway if I'm correct.... the customs would probably stop the delivery

#@^*#)@#.
I forgot to wash my hands with alcohol after planting seeds earlier.
Hot Pepper Seeds: 1
Trent's Penis: 0

That's the earliest I've ever suffered Penis Burn (tm) in any given calendar year.

Also.

Next year I'm going to overwinter at least one plant.

Because winter in Illinois is lonely and boring, without indoor peppers and aphid wars.

Good to see you back Trent.

How is the little one now? Should be, what, 6-8 months old by now? Got her eating peppers and shooting yet?. Na, probably a little early for that, isn't it. ;)

Seeds:
If you're looking for something specific, let me know. I don't have a very vast seed inventory, but there is certainly more than I need or could use.

She's 4 1/2 months old now. Born September 24! Growing like a weed and doing great!

As far as seeds, well, everyone on here rocks. Wasn't expecting such a fast response on that!

Terry and Justin (jcw10tc) are sending me packages and that should get me close to what I need. 

I still want to get *something* ordered from Judy, to try and support the industry a little, so I'll round what little I need there. I couldn't do 60+ varieties again this year, like I did last year, but ordering 10 or 15 is doable. :)

I'm trying to tone back the overall heat level a lot this year, after eating so many ultra hots last summer my stomach wasn't quite right until December. :)

That, and my wife wants me to grow stuff *she* can eat.. and she has a very low heat tolerance. :)

Really huge seed list!!!I like your varieties,Good luck on your grow Trent,will be following.
Really huge seed list!!!I like your varieties,Good luck on your grow Trent,will be following.

TrentL said:
She's 4 1/2 months old now. Born September 24! Growing like a weed and doing great!

As far as seeds, well, everyone on here rocks. Wasn't expecting such a fast response on that!

Terry and Justin (jcw10tc) are sending me packages and that should get me close to what I need. 

I still want to get *something* ordered from Judy, to try and support the industry a little, so I'll round what little I need there. I couldn't do 60+ varieties again this year, like I did last year, but ordering 10 or 15 is doable. :)

I'm trying to tone back the overall heat level a lot this year, after eating so many ultra hots last summer my stomach wasn't quite right until December. :)

That, and my wife wants me to grow stuff *she* can eat.. and she has a very low heat tolerance. :)
I don't know how you lived through that day you tried like 8 or 10 of those superhots.  My stomach won't let me do it anymore.  Hottest one I ate whole last year was a Mako Akokosrade.  Didn't burn my mouth too much but gave me cramps.  It sucks that I can take so much more heat in the mouth than my stomach will allow.  Want to spice things up more than I do, but know I will pay for it minutes or sometimes it waits an hour later.   Good luck with your grow this year, looks like your getting a good start.

OOh I love those Mako Akokosrade. I was slicing those up and eating those like mad on tenderloins last summer. Turned in to one of my favorite nighttime snacks. :)

A few tips... Don't eat ultrahots on an empty stomach... Drink milk afterwards. Milk binds with the capsaicin. Drink enough and it also helps with 'butt burn' the next day. PACE YOURSELF. One swallow every 5 minutes is more than enough. Overdo it and you'll puke milk up everywhere!

For me, that's the big hangup. My mouth can handle a lot. My stomach can handle a lot.

My a-hole... well, I can't seem to build a tolerance for burning there.

I've literally cried on the toilet before.

And not just once.

"I hate hot peppers" (sobbing) "I'm never eating those #%@*@#( again" ... has been said as I leave the bathroom ... on more than one occasion. 

Trent, Check my Seed list, anything that says it's available for trade you are welcome to. Just shoot me a PM with what you would like and your addy. I'll see if I can get as stamp off the wifey when she gets home from work tomorrow. 

CLICK HERE FOR LIST

Regarding trades - open question for all.

I still have bags of every variety I grew last year, in freezer bags, in the deep freeze. 

Are those seeds still viable?

They were open pollenated, but if the seeds themselves are still viable, I would definitely be open to pulling some out if any of you guys want something I grew last year. (I have several gallons of Carolina Reapers, and 70 other varieties...)

TrentL said:

My a-hole... well, I can't seem to build a tolerance for burning there.

I've literally cried on the toilet before.

And not just once.

"I hate hot peppers" (sobbing) "I'm never eating those #%@*@#( again" ... has been said as I leave the bathroom ... on more than one occasion. 

I rarely get the ring of fire but had a bunch of primo powder I got from JW in some ramen. I felt that for sure. 

TrentL said:

:rofl: :rofl: That is the theme of quite a few of our grows this year (including mine). Everyone is toning it down, and there more than a few wives wanting us to grow things they can eat. :rofl: :rofl:

I've noticed that, Jeff!

Good luck this season, Trent!
Let me know generally what you want in seeds.

Back