Tricots

Ok, so this is my second season growing what I assume are moruga scorpions.  I saved seeds from my pods from last summer.  They were an amazon seed purchase to burn up a gift card, and i currently have three plants overwintering inside.  Surprisingly, they grew a superhot, what particular variety I have no idea.  Anyways, of the 12 or so seeds I started from last season's pods, half of them are tricot seedlings.  I've read before that tricots aren't necessarily rare, just uncommon.  Is having this many unusual?

The first times are kinda neat. Then after you've been growing awhile not so much, but you watch to see if they continue to grow in trip. Or express some other sort of anomaly.

Gotcha.  I had only (unsuccessfully) grown bells from seed before last year, and every one of the seeds I germinated was a standard dicot.  This was the first year i was able to actually care for my plants without a ton of interruptions, so i've been watching them like a hawk hahaha.

MaineScorpion said:
Gotcha.  I had only (unsuccessfully) grown bells from seed before last year, and every one of the seeds I germinated was a standard dicot.  This was the first year i was able to actually care for my plants without a ton of interruptions, so i've been watching them like a hawk hahaha.
Careful you do not over care for them. One of the leading causes of a failed grow.

By watching them carefully I mean seeing which plants are wilting and need water.  I'm not that much of a noob ;)  I have my seedlings under T5s in my basement that is a constant 64 degrees. 

I haven't had any quads, just a bunch of tricots.  From what i've read, tricot seedlings typically behave like standard dicot plants, the only difference is the initial "seed leaves," most of them throw out leaves in the standard 2 leaf pattern.

I have had 1, 2, 3 and 4 coty plants.
Most of my 1, 3 and 4 coty plants did indeed turn out to be been "mutants" with weird growth patterns (and not just because of the coty's)

so if your interested in growing mutant plants then keep an eye on any with a weird number of coty's...my 3 and 4 coty's generally fork almost straight away for example.

Iv got a single coty CP115 going that's a weird one. Almost looks as if its only half pepper plant and half cross with "other species". lol. I generally try to grow out the weird ones..even though they generally grow much slower.

pic of the single coty CP115
image_zpsgxtpc8lf.jpeg

pic of mutant CP115 a couple weeks ago
image_zpsv3xl5ceb.jpeg

its only increased in weirdness since then

I over wintered a tricot from last year.  It has some very odd growth but was one of my best producers.  Two of the branches split regularly (into two) but the third repeated the tri split. 
zp3CTZMl.jpg

Yeah, two of my overwinters show similar characteristics as yours, one stem always branches into threes, while the other stems fork into two. I see you topped your plants early too?  I'll take some pictures tomorrow. 

Sounds like i have a lot of mutants! A buddy of mine just started some of my seeds, and got a lot of tricots too, so i guess i can rule out the radon in the basement as the cause! haha

Back